Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to aquire a used trans and was curious how hard they are to install in our trucks...I have an 04 crew cab long bed 4x4...

I'd like to service the trans then swap it out if it isnt a big deal. I've swapped out a trans in my Ranger before, and a few semi-truck 10spds so I know what is normally involved, but just going to see how it went for others...

Thanks!
Ruben

·
Registered
405 Posts
Never done it before, but I can get imagine getting to the top of the bell housing is a lot of fun with how crammed it is up under that hood.

Otherwise, its a big *** transmission... unbolt everything and wiggle it out... Can't be that hard. I ain't no rocket-surgeon but Ive done many tranny swaps in my day.

·
Lifetime Premium Member
6,100 Posts
It all depends on what you are capable of..given what you have stated above,you should have no problems.They are just bulky and kinda hard to handle without the proper set-up.All in All..not too hard though.:thumb:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Having the right equipment makes it 10x better and a few less cuss words. the first time i did one i only had two floor jacks and me. It pretty much sucked.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i'll have access to the auto hobby shop here on base, it has a lift and i'm sure there are tranny jacks in there somewhere too

·
Lifetime Premium Member
6,100 Posts
The first go round my tranny guy installed mine.I was suprised how he did it..he put the truck on the lift raised it up,then lowered it to just above a 55 gal(plastic drum)finished unbolting the tranny(letting it rest on the drum),raised the truck,then picked up the tranny.Kinda red I guess,but it worked:dunno:

·
Registered
545 Posts
auto trannies are usually a breeze to install... no input shafts to line up or anything. just be sure to loctite the bolts on the flex plate and dont use air tools on the flex plate, the only issue you will hav is access to the top bolts on the flywheel housing, youll be fine, just do it. maybe take some pics and do a little "DIY tranny install" to post here on the org. good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts