Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
So there's 2 possible issues here.

One, the most common is that the whole shift linkage is sloppy so it doesn't align with the indicator. This happens when these 2 Torx screws, at the bottom end of the Shift tube, where it transitions to the Cable that goes to the transmission, become loose or even fall out.

Look Up, above the brake pedal (you have to slide on your back under the dash to see) for where these screws are on the "foot" welded to the end of that tube.

The other (if the linkage is tight), the little "string" that goes to the pointer itself, needs to be adjusted. It goes from the pointer, to the bottom of an outside ring (which moves with the shifter) under the column cover (which is a little complicated to remove because you have to pull the Ign Cly). Not a big deal once you've done it the first time :)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
My 06 (same body) has an adjuster behind the dash panel, just to the right of the indicator. Easy to see and adjust, assuming you have the same one.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
3rd possibility is what mine did. The plastic keeper thingy broke. I put a zip tie to put tension back on the cable and that fixed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts