Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I am getting ready to service the tranny in my 96 for the first time. It has a billet tc, upgraded vb, upgraded clutch packs, and a big *** trans cooler. I am going to use Scheaffers all-trans fluid in the tranny and transfer case but what filter should I run? Also I am going to re-torque the valvebody, what should I torque the bolts to? Thanks guys!

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Columns represent Newton-meter / Lb-Ft / Lb-In:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just curious you got 4V heads on the cleveland? and any trans filter works imoh
Yes sir. 351 cleveland cobra jet. 4 bolt mains, 4v heads. just over 500 to the crank. If I were to put some aluminum heads on it I could probably make 600+

Alright thanks I will go pick one up.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Thanks a lot! Just to clarify, 80 in lbs, then 100 in lbs?
Sorry, between 80 and 100 inch pounds. This is to take into account that all torque wrenches are not calibrated the same nor do they all hold calibration the same. Set to the middle of any torque range and you'll be fine.

just curious you got 4V heads on the cleveland? and any trans filter works imoh
Agreed BUT make sure you get one for a 4x4 (FT-109), not the 4x2 (FT-108).

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,852 Posts
Hells ya man thats awesome. I have one in my 76 F100 i love that engine! 10.5 pistons 320 560 cam solid lift, roller lifters, 1.73 roller rockers, msd ign. :thumb:

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,852 Posts
and what big fuel said the difference is one filter is longer (sits deeper in the pan) than the other. The 4x4 one is the longer one.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, between 80 and 100 inch pounds. This is to take into account that all torque wrenches are not calibrated the same nor do they all hold calibration the same. Set to the middle of any torque range and you'll be fine.

Agreed BUT make sure you get one for a 4x4 (FT-109), not the 4x2 (FT-108).
Right on, thanks again. I will make sure to get the right one.

Hells ya man thats awesome. I have one in my 76 F100 i love that engine! 10.5 pistons 320 560 cam solid lift, roller lifters, 1.73 roller rockers, msd ign. :thumb:
:icon_ford: Nice! They are great engines.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
What filter? Just a plain old trans filter. Brand is no big deal.
I would get the external filter from Dieselsite though. THAT is a real filter.
Also, how are you flushing the trans?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What filter? Just a plain old trans filter. Brand is no big deal.
I would get the external filter from Dieselsite though. THAT is a real filter.
Also, how are you flushing the trans?
I will look into that thanks. I was told by the shop that built it not to flush it. Is that not the case?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
if you don't flush it, how do you get all the old out and new in?

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will 12 QTS be enough? I found a 12 pack from Beans for $119. I plan on tranny and T-case.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Do you still plan to just drain the pan and TC, therefore mixing old MercIII and Schaeffers?
Or are you gonna flush it right? Cause flushing it right should take a minimum of about 18qts.
I'm not sure how much the Tcase takes. Probably 3 - 4qts?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just going by what I was told. I will flush it, what is the best way to go about doing it?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I personally opted to remove my old external magnetic filter that the previous owner had on there. I've read it could become a restriction and starve your clutches of oil. Besides, you already have a magnet inside the trans pan. I've also heard BTS doesn't recommend external filters and their word ranks pretty high on my list regarding transmissions. Edit: this is in reference to in-line filters; not spin-on filters.

To flush, disconnect the trans return oil line and have a large container to catch all the oil that will be pumped out quickly. Start the truck and it'll start pumping out the old/dirty oil into your container. while that's happening, keep refilling the trans with new/fresh fluid through the trans dipstick tube until you see new/clear fluid coming out of the hose. do NOT allow it to run out of fluid or your tranny will go bye-bye. shut truck off, reconnect, top off fluid..pretty simple. You'll need 25+ quarts to do trans flush with bigger cooler and xfer case. Some of it depends on how quickly you sense the new fluid coming out and shut off your truck.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I personally opted to remove my old external magnetic filter that the previous owner had on there. I've read it could become a restriction and starve your clutches of oil. Besides, you already have a magnet inside the trans pan. I've also heard BTS doesn't recommend external filters and their word ranks pretty high on my list regarding transmissions. Edit: this is in reference to in-line filters; not spin-on filters.

To flush, disconnect the trans return oil line and have a large container to catch all the oil that will be pumped out quickly. Start the truck and it'll start pumping out the old/dirty oil into your container. while that's happening, keep refilling the trans with new/fresh fluid through the trans dipstick tube until you see new/clear fluid coming out of the hose. do NOT allow it to run out of fluid or your tranny will go bye-bye. shut truck off, reconnect, top off fluid..pretty simple. You'll need 25+ quarts to do trans flush with bigger cooler and xfer case. Some of it depends on how quickly you sense the new fluid coming out and shut off your truck.
Alright thanks. I went to order the 5 gallon bucket this morning until I found out I would be spending 50+ dollars to have it shipped. Trying to find somewhere closer to get some.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
See if your local Grainger sells it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
See if your local Grainger sells it.
Thanks I will give them a call in the morning. I also found a place about 45 minutes from me that has it. 1.5 hours of driving is still better than $60 for shipping.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry guys a couple more questions. I just don't want to wear out a $4500 transmission haha. Here is the deal, some of you may or may not already know the story. I bought the truck July 2 of this year. When I bought it, it was not running, and had been sitting for about 11 months. I got it running on Sunday evening. The transmission was rebuild by the PO (I called the trans shop that did it to confirm) and it had the parts I listed earlier installed. The trans has about 44k on it since the rebuild. The trans shop to me to re-torque the VB, replace the filter, and install new fluid but not to flush. Well I planned on using Schaeffer's All-Trans as I mentioned earlier. I was not able to get a hold of any. I need to start driving the truck so I figured I would just put regular fluid back in it and not flush it. My question to you guys is what fluid should I run in place of the Schaeffer's (I will have some before the next service and I will flush it). I would like something I can just go pick up at the local parts store so I can do this tonight and start driving it tomorrow. Thanks guys, always appreciate the help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts