Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a write up on installing a tru-Cool 4739 trans cooler? My f250 has been running in the upper 190's and I want to cool it down.

·
I need money...
1,592 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I mounted mine behind the front bumper over the large hole where a tag of fog lights would go. I prefer mounting it with the fitting on the top so the cooler has to completely fill with oil and get maximum surface area exposure for heat transfer. If the fittings are on the bottom it seems to me the fluid would only fill the cooler enough to flow over to the other side and then drain right back out.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I mounted My Tru Cool LPD Cooler Sideways, an a few times my temps have Climbed Higher than 200, when i was really workin the truck... But i only had about 3000 pounds max in the box, an i was climbing an 18% Grade with lots of corners...

Do you think that it would work better if i spin it so both fittings are on top, opposed to one on the Bottom an the other on Top???

I am also Planning on relocating it to either behind the Bumper or Grill, so i have to pull it out anyways...

Thanks...

-Henry

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I burnt my old trans up real bad, so i replaced the old Cooler with this new Tru Cool LPD...

The new trannie seems alright just when im going slow with a fair amount of weight on the trannie heats up...

Thats why i was wondering if maybe i should spin the cooler around (when i relocate it) so that both fittings are facing upwards like the "alabamafrog" mentioned...

-Henry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts