Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

i have a leak at the inlet of my cooler, totally forget if its a flare fitting or not. i didnt pull it apart today as i did not have time to deal with it and make a mess. i tightened it a little bit more but i still have a leak. im thinking about replacing the cooler and the lines just to be safe. any body know if i can use rubber lines or where i can get a set of steel ones? also any thoughts on it being the cooler or the lines that are causing the leak.
thank you
Will

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes you can use rubber lines 3/8 i believe j . If your going to replace the cooler you might as well upgrade to a cooler out of 6.0l truck it is an easy swap uses the same mounts. It takes you from a 9 rows of cooling to either 28 or 31 rows of cooling capacity. Only thing is it uses 1/2 lines you will have to get a some fittings to splice from 1/2to 3/8th. trust me it is more than worth it to upgrade 30-40 degrees difference in your transmission temps. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info man i appreciate it. any idea what i can use for hose? im a mechanic at a boat yard and can get ahold of 3/8 marine fuel hose, also can i just change out fittings and use bronze hose barbs with doubled hose clamps?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well its not high pressure 10-15 PSI at most ... so i don't see any reason 3/8 fuel hose will not work just make sure it rated for at least 300degrees. But they sale transmission hose at your local part store for like 3 bucks a ft you will need about six or seven ft. Brass fittings will work just fine with single hose clamps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Also i have a used 7.3 liter trans cooler that i will part ways with for 25$ plus shipping if your interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts