Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating on getting a new trans cooler or just somehow wiring up a fan to a switch for the existing cooler. The temps are fine until I hit any sort of traffic or stoplight. My question is should I get a new cooler or wire up a fan. Also if I get a new cooler should I get new lines that run to the cooler from the trans. Oh ALSO, the front axle on passenger side is broken at the joint. Im going to try to attach a picture. It rattles around on some turns or when I hit bumps in the road hard. Should I replace it now or can I wait a little longer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
That's just a u joint on the axle, it will be fine as long as you keep the hubs unlocked. What kind of transmission temp are you seeing? The 6.0 has a good transmission cooler from the factory.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's just a u joint on the axle, it will be fine as long as you keep the hubs unlocked. What kind of transmission temp are you seeing? The 6.0 has a good transmission cooler from the factory.
Ok. Im seeing 158 to 162 on highway. backroads are around 165 to 170 but any lights I hit or traffic it climbs steadily up to 190+. I drove 3 hours on the highway and hit some traffic, temps were fine but but highest it got were 192 and were climbing. I know the trans cooler now doesn't have a fan and I don't think the fan for the radiator fan is pulling air through the trans cooler because its slanted down and kinda out of the way.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
You can add a fan or bigger cooler if you want to but 190-200 degrees isn't bad for transmission temp.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,652 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can add a fan or bigger cooler if you want to but 190-200 degrees isn't bad for transmission temp.
I think I might get a new cooler. Some of the fins are bent. I fixed the hand full that were bent but they still have a slight bent to them. The temp has gotten to 210-215 but I had just pulled back up to my house by then

·
Old School
255 Posts
Honestly, your temps sound fine. Once you get up to 220+ is when you start to shorten the lifespan of the fluid.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly, your temps sound fine. Once you get up to 220+ is when you start to shorten the lifespan of the fluid.
Ok, good to know. Im still learning more about the 6.0. I just don't want to break anything more than I usually do. Im terrible with anything expensive. LOL

·
Old School
255 Posts
If you plan on towing and your temps regularly get above 215-220, I would look into replacing your trans cooler or adding an additional one. When I would tow with my F150, I ended up adding a cooler similar to this one inline with my OEM cooler: https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-Rapid-Cool-Transmission-Cooler/dp/B000C3F3SO/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=transmission+cooler&qid=1568285435&sr=8-9. If you feel uncomfortable about the temps, it can be a very inexpensive bit of insurance. I don't know if the one I linked would be appropriate for our trucks, but it gives you the general idea.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,652 Posts
Most 6.0L people just don't need anything upgraded or additional when towing. Something is different if you do. JMHO. How do you know that the TFT is even accurate? Have you verified that it reads the same as the other temp sensors when the engine has completely cooled down?

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I don't really have much helpful input but I have never seen trans temps hit 200 in my excursion even when pulling my 8k pound camper through the mountains with a lift and 35s. Im not saying that the temps are high enough to hurt anything but I don't think its normal and there is some reason. Im not sure what but something is off. A new cooler could be cheap insurance I suppose but I would be careful with aftermarket coolers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts