Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was driving down the road at 65-70mph yesterday, just normal driving. and my Overdrive light started flashing. i pulled over and turned my truck off to reset everythign and it went out. i did it one more time after that. has not done it again yet. anyone know what the problem might be? my trans temp was at 130. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
If the light flashed then there should be a trouble code stored in the computer, if you can get the code it would help point us in the right direction.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
When the light flashes, that means the computer didn't see the correct voltage. Almost always something electrical

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
When the OD light flashes it means you have a driveline code that has been set. You need to have your codes read, resetting does nothing but make the light go off for a little while. Is your speedo working properly? The reason I ask is one of the most common driveline code is the VSS on the rear diff, cheap and easy to replace, but first get the codes read. Our trucks aren't OBDII because of GVWR so don't trust the free reading from AZ, or Pep Boys, etc to read your truck.
NCH

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did put the tru speed recalibrator on my truck about a week or so ago. and everyonce and a while my speedometer will act a little funny from 0 to 30. i will flutter a little then level out. could that be the problem?

·
Registered
88 Posts
i did put the tru speed recalibrator on my truck about a week or so ago. and everyonce and a while my speedometer will act a little funny from 0 to 30. i will flutter a little then level out. could that be the problem?
Is your ABS light on too? How old is your VSS?

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
A fluttering speedo is signs of a bad VSS. I am not a fan of throwing parts at a problem. I prefer to use a proper scan tool and fix it once. They run about $20-$30 and take 5 min to change so if it isn't the problem ( which I believe it is) you aren't out a lot. Could also be something with the tru speed. I believe I would disconnest it first and see if your problem goes away. I never have liked those gizmos I prefer to simply change the gear to the right size.
Let me know what this does

NCH

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My ABS light is not on. and what is a VSS, and where is it?

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Vehicle Speed Sensor and it is right on top of the rear pumpkin, should have one or two wires comint out of it. Usually has a bolt holding the plug in the top of the pumpkin. Around $20 from any auto parts store.
NCH

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts