Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transmission spraying fluid out the top when backing up hill with trailer?

Went to up to Big Bear to help a friend pick up a jeep, backed an empty car trailer up a 20% grade driveway. When we got to the top tranny fluid was dripping off the tranny.

Cleaned it up drove home and no more leaking - anyone know what is going on?

Thanks - Daryl

·
Super Moderator
2001 Ford F350, 7.3L, 4R100, CC, LB, SRW
19,190 Posts
Where was it dripping from? If the inspection cover below the TC, it could be the front seal.

After I had towed my 5th wheel to the RV Park we stayed at, it was dripping. Overnight cool down and a few days of not towing, it was fine. I towed the trailer back home and it was dripping at home. The trans shop told me the front seal is a common problem on these. They replaced it and I've not had any problem since, including towing the 5er for longer distances than that one trip.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If its not the front seal it could have really got the trans HOT and fluid can come out when it is really (dangerously) hot.

Do you have a trans gauge(factory or aftermarket)?
6.0 trans cooler?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies. Sorry for the delayed response - we are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and I forgot I posted this... getting old.

Anyway fluid was coming from the top of the case and down the left side, the driveway I was backing up was pretty steep so not sure how much that had to do with it?

No tranny temp gauge or up graded cooler truck is an early 99 SD - these are on the to of my to do list once the kitchen is done.

Daryl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts