Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been keeping an eye on how my new rig is running and noticed that when i go into reverse and then stop completly and put it into drive, it takes about 3-5 seconds to get into gear is this normal??? Rig has 18k miles 2006

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
9 views and no answers?? Ill check back tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Steve, up to a 5 second delay is considered normal. Is it actually 3-5 seconds or does it feel like 3-5 seconds? Are you counting 1 1000 2 1000 3 1000? Honestly, I have to refer you to a different site that has a former ford transmission engineer that posts there. It's Ford Truck Enthusiasts, 1948-2009 Ford F150, Super Duty & SUV owners community and information source. Covers F100, F-150, F250, Bronco, Ranger, Explorer, Expedition, Lighting, Escape and More, his screen name is Mark K. FWIW, I had at worse a 3 second delay, had Marc at Tiffany Ford completely flush my tranny and the delay is gone, stock or tuned it is gone. It was $260 bucks. However, with only 18k that long of a delay shouldn't be happening. If you're running those new evolution tunes take it off and go back to stock and see if it get's better.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im actually running it stock right now and thats when i noticed it was taking forever to go into drive. My beater Saturn does it when i go into reverse, but i was worried when i noticed the rig was starting to have a delay, when i go into drive. Im gonna try and set up an appointment at a local dealership, anyone recommend one in san jose area? What you guys think the problem might be??

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
With 101,000 mine is pretty quick, About 2-3 seconds, So I would say that it does not sound normal. I agree with the above, Take it to the dealer and act like this is a major problem for you and see what you get in return.
It's only 100.00 out of pocket. Plus you will get the latest flashes if you do not already have them.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
im actually running it stock right now and thats when i noticed it was taking forever to go into drive. My beater Saturn does it when i go into reverse, but i was worried when i noticed the rig was starting to have a delay, when i go into drive. Im gonna try and set up an appointment at a local dealership, anyone recommend one in san jose area? What you guys think the problem might be??
Stupid question......are coming to a complete stop from reverse and putting in drive?? Or are you one of those the truck is still rolling in reverse when I put it drive??? If your the latter then yes its normal, but if yours stopping your rig and you have to wait that long then yeah there is something wrong

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I don't have a recommendation in the san jose area but with no codes and only a delay I think it may be difficult for them to actually FIX the delay. I don't see how a flush would help with only 18k but if my truck only had 18k and there was a delay I would replace the external tranny filter first, you can do this with a breaker bar, and hope that it picked up any random gunk floating around or getting hung up in the solenoids.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im taking her in hopefully tommorow, i hope its nothing major, crossing my fingers....

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
keep us posted I am curious to see what they do

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what's ur idea???

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
that they'll charge you at least an hour labor to look at it, diagnose that everything is normal or at most they will drain the pan and hopefully remember to put 8 quarts of mercon sp back in, lol then send you on your way with the same delay you came in with. ORRRR they just might have a tranny tech that knows his sheeet and he'll test line pressure while engaging R to D and D to R and maybe they'll call ford and ask for advice and maybe just maybe they'll be nice enough to toss in a brand new tranny. But, imo, with my budget I would first replace the external and go from there cuz it's only about $30 bucks to do it yourself. It's just me Steve, I wouldn't take my truck to ANY dealership hoping they have someone that is familiar with the 5r110 and is able to accuratly diagnose the symptoms. I wouldn't even take my tranny to Marc, lol, he hates working on them but knows how to flush'em. It's a complex beast and with 18k it's my opinion that there is only so much they, whoever they is, can do. Now, if your tow/haul light was blinking then I would feel better about taking to ANY dealership because there would be a code for them to read and go from there. I'm just meticulous and don't trust dealerships I'm not familiar with or haven't heard good things about. And I havent' heard any good things about dealerships in the bay.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sounds fair but shouldn't be a charge since factory warranty is still active Im really scared to take it the dealership last time I took my s2000 to Honda they forgot to put my oil cap back on and they told me it probabbly rattled loose I just looked at them and walked away

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
oh yea I completely forgot about the warranty. lol :doh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts