Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 06 I have just over 50K on it, I pull the race car and help on my buds farm from time to time during the busy season. Are you guys running the ford stuff or are you swtiching to something else? How many miles are you supposed to go before you get the tranny serviced? Knowing my luck I prolly missed it already

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Mercon SP or Mercon LV.

Look at my link for suggestions on how to get more trans fluid out, if you do it your self.
Every 30,000 or less.

There are 2 trans filters, both can be changed. I recommend doing both (internal and external) in your situation.

My link will give visuals of where the 2 filters are.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The ONLY options are either mercon sp, or lv (as mentioned above) Definately change both filters-one is inline, the other is in the pan.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Merc SP/LV Change the external filter at least. If you are beating her do it every 20k

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
See, my truck had 84,000 on it when I got it and now I'm afraid to change it if it's not been changed before. I've always heard that if you go over 30,000 by a good bit and then change the fluid and filters that the transmission will not live long after... ?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I second the above, never heard the such. Changing fluids and filters prolongs stuff never hurts it, unless you put the frong stuff in there.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Not only have I heard it, I've experienced it first hand. Generally on higher mileage units with no service history. I wouldn't hesitate to do it on an 84k truck, but if you have a 200k truck that has dark fluid and has never been serviced, I would leave it. New fluid is much more efficient at reducing friction, and tends to cause slippage. I know it seems counter intuitive, but on a higher mileage trans you can cause damage with a service.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Not only have I heard it, I've experienced it first hand. Generally on higher mileage units with no service history. I wouldn't hesitate to do it on an 84k truck, but if you have a 200k truck that has dark fluid and has never been serviced, I would leave it. New fluid is much more efficient at reducing friction, and tends to cause slippage. I know it seems counter intuitive, but on a higher mileage trans you can cause damage with a service.

OH so true !!! A lot of quick flush joints won't even touch a high millage trans if the fluid looks dark and burnt. I personaly changed the fluid in a FORD C4 that had about 90K on it that was dark and burned smelling. I took it out of the shop it run 1/2 a block and would shift out of 1st gear. Trans was toast!! A 5R110 should go 250 K if you don't beat on it too hard and keep the fluids changed. This is one of the best auto transmissions in a light or med duty diesel. The trans is the main reason I bought a Super-duty and not a dura-maxi-pad. :icon_ford::icon_ford::icon_ford:

I did notice my loacal dealer had a special on flushing the trans and filter change. Is it better to do a partial fluid and filter change or to get a flush done. I have seen in some other places that a flush is not recomended for the 5R110. What say you??

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I'd make sure to get as much of the fluid as possible-on the 4r100 the converter has a drain plug-not sure if the 5r110w has one as well, but an easier way to do it is to drain as much as you can, then remove one of the trans lines going to the cooler. Run a hose off of it into a drain bucket, start the truck, and while it is running ad fresh fluid until the fluid coming out is nice and bright red. That should ensure a thorough flush. Just draining the pan will not get nearly all the fluid. That converter and both transmission coolers hold A LOT of fluid;

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I'd make sure to get as much of the fluid as possible-on the 4r100 the converter has a drain plug-not sure if the 5r110w has one as well, but an easier way to do it is to drain as much as you can, then remove one of the trans lines going to the cooler. Run a hose off of it into a drain bucket, start the truck, and while it is running ad fresh fluid until the fluid coming out is nice and bright red. That should ensure a thorough flush. Just draining the pan will not get nearly all the fluid. That converter and both transmission coolers hold A LOT of fluid;
The 5r110 does not have a drain plug for the torque converter.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If an automatic transmission has a drain plug, I change the oil every other engine oil change. Do the filters when the manual suggests.

Oil is cheap especially when you tow 10k pounds or more. If I never towed, I would just follow the manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts