Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 97 from the tranny shop on Friday evening. When it is cold and first starting all is quiet. But when it is hot after you have driven it a while it has a noise in it if you are just sitting still with the clutch out. If you push the clutch all the way in you can hear the tranny stop spinning and all is quiet again until you let the clutch out. It is not the throw out bearing because you have to push the pedal down a ways before it will stop the noise. It sounds kinda like a noise from a loud PTO.

The tranny and transfer case were just rebuilt. I installed a South Bend OFE clutch and it has Amsoil ATF in both. I have heard that the single mass flywheels are a little louder but this is quite a bit more than my other truck with the LUK in it. So is it the clutch making the noise that the single mass is going to make, Amsoil not lubing properly, or tranny problem? Thanks JJ

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Could be the single mass, but I haven't known them to make a whole lot of noise.

Take it back and tell them whats up

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a little update on this. It is making the noise all the time now. Brought it back to the shop. They said it is in the front area either the new clutch I had them put in or the bearing on the input shaft. They are going to tear back into it tomorrow. JJ

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Cool, Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a little update. Tranny shop said that there is def something going on in the front area. Said either clutch or front input bearing. I left it with them and they pulled it back apart. No problems found visually so they put in a completely different set of gears, shafts, and bearings and reinstalled. Makes the same noise. They are now wondering if the crank has excessive up and down play causing the input shaft to hold the crank up? Seems if it was moving around that much the rear main would be leaking?:dunno:So now I am really in a barrel of pickles. I am headed back to go get the truck and bring it to another shop for a 2nd and possibly 3rd opinion. JJ

·
Cynic
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well picked up the truck and took it to a second opinion. I determined while I was there the gentleman that wanted to take it out and have a look at it did not know the difference from a bottle of Mt dew and a bucket of horse pee. Third opinion shop was one that has experience with this tranny AND CLUTCH SETUP and said that although it was a bit louder than the others they had installed that he would not be scared to drive it to California today and did not see the need in me opening up my billfold and having them pull the tranny out.

So I think that if they are turning down my open checkbook they are confident that it will be ok. I now know who in the DFW will get all of my work that I do not want to do myself.( Trannys, transfers and axles). I have now taken the additude that I am going to run the dog out of it and if there is something wrong it will eventually poke out the side.

Dirk THANK YOU for the quick response this afternoon. I know you were busy with other things it means a lot and will not forgotten. JJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts