Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in stop and go traffic and my tranny guage just hit 190 and its about 105 outside when should I start to worry?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
sounds like normal runnin temp to me. when you start goin above 210 to 220 i would start to worry

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
Did it come down after you got out of traffic? The numbers are a lil high, but it could have been the conditions(traffic,heat) at the time.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I'm in stop and go traffic and my tranny guage just hit 190 and its about 105 outside when should I start to worry?
105 degrees outside?? Where do you live!?!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in northern ca crazy heat wave. After about 5 miles it started to cool down I just got my guages two weeks ago so I was unsure.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Seems normal to me. In stop and go traffic around town or at low speeds with lots of shifting it will run at that temp. When you get out on to the highway at a constant speed you will see it drop and run at a lower temp.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
i would say 210 is when you need to worry. with that heat in stop and go traffic you will prolly start to see 200. i sure did on my old ford and i live in arizona. i dont think you should worry about it cuz i never had no problems. it will really cool down the faster rate of speed you go as long as you arent stopping and going.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Add another trans cooler to the truck. You can get one that has an electric fan on it. This will help keep the temps down for you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea I am going to end up getting a 6.0 cooler or a trucool pretty soon.

·
Registered
738 Posts
sounds about right for the conditions. Mine got up to 180 when it was 90 yesterday. Thats reading off of the computers sensor though. Since yours is a 2000 as well, check and see if you have tranny lines running into the back of the radiator and back out into the stock tranny cooler. They changed those out in mid 2000, I got "lucky" and don't have a cooler in my radiator for the trans, so I had to buy a trucool 40k to go along with another up under the truck with a fan.

6.0 cooler is the best option, the v10 cooler(direct bolt in trucool 40k) is close second. Two trucool 40ks will do more than you need, and I think are cheaper than a single 6.0 cooler

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sirnunya, you wrote that yours is reading off the computer sensor. Mine is also. What does that mean, too high or low, how much off is it compared to one into the sideport. What temperature equates to ~180* thru the side port? :dunno:

·
Registered
738 Posts
i've heard the computer reads about 20deg higher, because of the placement of the sensor. we both have the x-monitor too. i need to invest in some real gauges.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i would say 210 is when you need to worry. with that heat in stop and go traffic you will prolly start to see 200. i sure did on my old ford and i live in arizona. i dont think you should worry about it cuz i never had no problems. it will really cool down the faster rate of speed you go as long as you arent stopping and going.
I have been told that 100* ubove ambient temp is OK. I live in AZ also, and I have added extra coolers to help.

Although I will tell you, that my old trans hit 250 before it went out, it was 120* outside and the tranny boiled over (probably helping kill it) of course I was towing a 14,000 lb 5er to achive that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Me being not to smart, it seems to me one would want their tranny sensor to be monitoring tranny temps where it is the hottest. Why is this not correct? Why is the X-Monitor no good Sirnunya? Do you think it's 20* hotter for every temp from say 140* to 200*? Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to learn more.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I second, Great info:thumb:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Me being not to smart, it seems to me one would want their tranny sensor to be monitoring tranny temps where it is the hottest. Why is this not correct? Why is the X-Monitor no good Sirnunya? Do you think it's 20* hotter for every temp from say 140* to 200*? Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to learn more.
its just something more to worry about to me. If you want to start worrying about trans temps sooner, these digital gauges do the trick. My x-monitor is old too, so its got old software on it that needs upgraded(box taken out and sent in to BD). analog gauges don't need that. It probably is at least 20deg difference at all temps, but i don't have an analog to confirm that. I also love the look of 3-4 analog gauges on the pillar. I've also read the x-monitor is not accurate at all until it reads over 140. Read that on the bd power tech forums.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't seem to find my tranny cooler could I not have one and if I don't have one can I still upgrade to a trucool or 6.0 cooler

·
Registered
738 Posts
you have one. between the intercooler and the a/c condensor. open the hood, take off that rubber cover with tabs that is over the hood latch, you'll see it way down there. you might also have an otw cooler in the radiator. under the truck on the bottom of the radiator you might have the tranny lines running to that, or they will go straight to the factory cooler.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Running the AC in stop and go traffic on a hot day USED to heat mine up like that. I have a gauge in the side port and another gauge in the hot line going to the cooler. With the 40K tru cool added to the stock 20K cooler it made a huge difference. I now Have a new tranny and Two 40K’s in series. I towed a tractor and trailer with combined weight around 14k about 300 miles on a 90+ degree day in all kinds of hills and flats and speeds from climbing mountain back roads at 30 mph to interstate at 80 mph and she never got over 150 at the case. The 40k trucool was well worth the $120 for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts