Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is probably a dumb question, but would it hurt my 2011 6.7 to put tranny fluid in the diesel? I used to do it on my 7.3s, but not sure about these newer diesels. And not sure if the miles matter but I'm at 340k. Thanks guys.

·
Vendor
12,833 Posts
In common rail diesels, I don't think it works like it does on the older trucks. If you want to use an additive, use Archoil, hotshots, Amsoil or other well known brands that are labeled accordingly.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Use something designed for additional lubrication to add longevity to the HPFP.
I use a mix of opti-lube (summer+ most of the time and XPD in winter) and FBC to keep the DPF clean.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
It's not really recommended as that's the old school diesel people talking. Run a fuel additive that is designed as a diesel fuel additive.
As heavy said...

It is old school. I used to do this in Detroit’s, Cummins, etc etc etc. Big ones, all mechanical. We ended up running a lot of Jet A in them, it is a very dry fuel, and needed lubrication. Had pump problems after that. Used to run furnace oil in them before that - Smokey...

A long time ago a fuel pump guru who ran a pump shop for about 50 years told me to start running atf. I did. Never had an issue after that. It also added about 10% to the BTU’s from what I was told. The equipment we were running was so big and slow, it wasn’t noticeable. But the pump issues went away and everything ran great after that. And from what I know, those old machines are still running today.

That’s my 2c on the atf topic. If I had a new 6.7 with good pump fuel, I personally wouldn’t run anything in it.

Welcome to the org by the way. A lot of knowledge here on these threads.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I remember the days when you could put damn near anything in a diesel fuel tank and it'd run just fine.

Anything from 6.0 years and up to the 6.7, I'd never run anything but good, clean diesel. The high pressure pumps, especially on the 6.7's are very very sensitive. Not to mention probable emissions equipment problems running anything other than diesel fuel, if you still have that equipment.

·
Registered
399 Posts
So this is probably a dumb question, but would it hurt my 2011 6.7 to put tranny fluid in the diesel? I used to do it on my 7.3s, but not sure about these newer diesels. And not sure if the miles matter but I'm at 340k. Thanks guys.
Especially in TEXAS, don't put ATF in the fuel. ATF is colored red and so is non taxed "off road" aka farm fuel. If the law takes a sample and see the red ATF color no amount of talking will get you out of a $10,000 fine.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Helps clean the crud out of the injectors.
That's exactly what I was thinking. My dad used to do it in the old school diesels. Not for the lubricity, but because of the detergent properties of ATF.

·
Administrator
29,124 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts