Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change my tranny fluid and put in a new filter I want to do it when I put my valve body but I cant seem to find a write up on tranny fluid change . Is this a hard job. Do ineed to take it to a shop to be done..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a drain plug i was reading some dont. that would be tricky trying to balance that pan laying on your back. Am I going to need to drain the tc as well?

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
I do have a drain plug i was reading some dont. that would be tricky trying to balance that pan laying on your back. Am I going to need to drain the tc as well?
I have honestly never seen a 4r100 behind a diesel that didn't have a oil drain plug on the pan.

As far as draining the converter, they stopped putting plugs in them at some point. you may or may not have a plug.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have a plug i heard that the cut off was 01 and i have a 2000 so i should have one not sure yet. I just wanna make sure I get out all the old fluid. Will draining the pan and tc do this>?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what fluid should i replace it with I would like to put the same fluid in there it was last serviced at ford about 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Pan and converter plugs should get you about 17 qts out if it. Some other vehicles like my wife’s jeep, do not have drain plugs, you gotta be careful and have a large drain pan and plenty of rags to do it. My 4r100 came with Ford Mercon V in it and the Ford place recommended I do not change to another fluid since my new tranny does not have a TC drain plug and sometimes there is a chance of problems mixing fluids. I plan to do mine and the valve body next week.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just did my John Wood valvebody last night. The install was simple. Drain the pan, drop it, then if so equipped drain the converter. To do so you must remove the dust cover. There is a bolt up next to the starter that is awkward to get to.
Drop the filter(more juice will come out so be ready). Remove the bolts to the VB and be ready again more fluid is coming. I only was abale to get 8 quarts to drain. I did not have a converter drain and I didnt feel like going into it any further since my fluid looked new.
Install the new VB, TORQUE the 8mm bolts to 95in#, the 10mm bolts 100in#.
Then install new filter, replace pan(gasket can be reused). TORQUE pan bolts to 120in#. At this point I put a gallon back in started the truck ran it through the gears then put in the other gallon ran it through the gears again drove it around the block, came back and the fluid level was fine.

Thanks to Mantain for answering my questions while I was working on mine.:thumb:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts