Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have been thinking about cheap ways to keep the tranny cool and need some insight. First option. Double up on tranny coolers? Second get a 6.0 tranny cooler (dont know what the difference is but heard they are better) Third look for some kind of in-line cooler and large cooler option. And with all these options I am thinking of adding a 7" electric fan to helpout. Any other ideas or anyone know where to buy something thats a resonable fix??

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
The stock 6.0 tranny cooler is bigger than the stock 7.3 tranny cooler.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Trucool 40K tranny cooler is about $120, you can get one that mounts anywhere and can be tied to the factory cooler and you can get one that replaces the factory cooler. I think the factory cooler is about 20k. For most applications if you just spend the $120 and put the big azz 40k one in line with the factory 20k one your tranny will stay nice and cool.

I have two because when my tranny went out the Ford place said I had to replace the factory cooler or my warranty on the new tranny would be void so I spent about $250 and got two 40K trucool coolers. I haven’t seen the 6.0 cooler but I don’t see how it could be much bigger and fit in there, I had a hard enough time getting the 40k one in there.

Anyone know th rating of the 6.0 cooler?

Here is the one that repalces the factory cooler and the factory cooler
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj235/alabamafrog/Powerstroke tranny/PA310015.jpg

Here is the orginal 40k extra cooler, I opted to mount it to the back of the front bumper.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj235/alabamafrog/Powerstroke tranny/TrannyCooler1.jpg

Here is a shot with the bumper off.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj235/alabamafrog/Powerstroke engine/P5090019.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya can we get some pics? how hard is it to change to the 6.0 cooler?

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Now that looks serious, please take some pics during and after the install so we can see how and where that monster fits.
It looks like it is designed to mount upside down.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
Now that looks serious, please take some pics during and after the install so we can see how and where that monster fits.
It looks like it is designed to mount upside down.
ill be doing a full write up when i finally install it lol... it will prob be around a month before i can get to it :(

and man your telling me i never thought it was this big so when i opened up the box i was like holy $#&@ lol... its supposed to be a direct bolt on other than the hose but youll see later when i do the install....

i would do it soon but i want to do a full trans flush before i install this cooler

-Raul

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
738 Posts
what if you let debris into the system when you install it after the trans flush?

looks like your trans fluid capacity is gonna go up a few quarts

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
what if you let debris into the system when you install it after the trans flush?

looks like your trans fluid capacity is gonna go up a few quarts
Yah it will go up a couple of quarts.

i was worried about debris from the old trans fluid to clog up the new cooler... which is why i wanted to do the flush right before i install the new one..

Im going to switch over to Amsoil when i do it. and adding a trans filter kit

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
If there is anything that gets into the fluid, it will just get sent to the pan and go through the filter as it is picked up.

I believe the 6.0 is 45K or 46K rated. It is a direct bolt on except the lines on the 6.0 are 3/8" instead of the stock 1/4". So only a couple of barbed adapters and you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
If there is anything that gets into the fluid, it will just get sent to the pan and go through the filter as it is picked up.

I believe the 6.0 is 45K or 46K rated. It is a direct bolt on except the lines on the 6.0 are 3/8" instead of the stock 1/4". So only a couple of barbed adapters and you are good to go.
cool.. thanks for the info...

is their a way to change the line on the 7.3L to the 3/8th from the trans to help with better flow? i wouldnt mind changing the whole setup...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
:thumb::popcorn2::popcorn2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
just did my 6.0 cooler upgrade today pretty straight foward. and man that thing is huge. it dwarfs the stock cooler. i'm gunna flush the trans tomorrow and call it a day. just word tothe wise lay a rag over the a/c condenser while working the paper thin finswill mark you something ugly.

Rich Bach

1 - 14 of 14 Posts