Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tranny temp in the last 6 months started rising slowly, eventually it hit 210-220. It takes about 20 minutes of around town driving to reach 190-205. I just had a 6.0 cooler installed. The 6.0 cooler keeps the temp around 190-205. Before this past 6 months it never rose above 140-150. I just turned 88,000 miles. I should have had my shop install a new bypass valve when they did the cooler. My question is can I replace the bypass valve myself in the driveway and does anyone have a part# and pic of what it looks like. My mechanical skills are minimal but trying to learn. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup thats what i thought. thanks

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah. i did a search and found it on dieselsite. before i put the 6.0 cooler on my shop talked me into putting on a Perma Cool auxillary cooler with the stock cooler. That worked for a little while but then quit. I just went out to look at the truck and I think they stiil have the Perma Cool still hooked and are running that inline with the 6.0 cooler. Should I un hook the Perma Cool and just run the 6.0 and the new bypass valve. Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
thats up to you. from what i hear, the 6.0 cooler is more than enough. i would leave your coolers the way they are and just replace the bypass. drive the truck for a while 100 miles or so, and see what your trans temps are. if they are still on the high side, then maybe that perma cool cooler is pluged or damaged. but with a good bypass valve and the 6.0 cooler you should never see temps around 140* upto about 180* if your working it. i have a tru cool inline with my stock and pullin my camper with air running im hangin right around 165* driving and abround 185* in trafic.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im going to replace the bypass valve and go from there. Hopefully that fixes it. thanks again

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im going to just replace it for now. Doesnt it help warming the fliup during cold start ups?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. i'll post when I get it figured out

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got around to replacing bypass valve on the tranny and now temps stay below 160 driving on the highway and around town. I'm intrested to see what happens when I start towing the sleds north in a couple months.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
nice to know. I am gonna replace mine. I am having the SAME probs as you. was fine and dandy with temp range and all of a sudden it went hot.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your from Fletcher,NC? I have an aunt and uncle that live in Fletcher NC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts