Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...it seems like recently my tranny doesnt wanna shift gears when it should...it holds high rpms for longer periods of time until i let off the gas significantly then it shifts...it doesnt matter if its on flat ground or a hill...for example...i could be going 50mph for 30 mins at 2000rpms...and it will not shift up unless i accelerate...or let off the gas...even if i dont give it much throttle it stays around 2000rpms until i let off the gas quite a bit...its hard to explain but its not right and i dunno if i just need to put some fresh fluid in it...or maybe unplug my battery and let it reset itself...id like a little help please???

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump:

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
What’s the temps doing?

When mine overheated it would not lock in the torque converter unless I did the same thing, speed up real fast and let off the pedal until it locked.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i dont think its gettin too hot...the temp gauge never moves...it shifts...its almost like i have tow/haul on...but its an old truck and i dont have that feature...just holds the gears for a long time

·
Registered
435 Posts
Sounds like what mine was doing when I had a cooler line leaking on a long trip and it got a low on fluid. I'm sure you have checked you fluid level though, cant hurt to change out the fluid and filter.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well when i checked the fluid i started it...let it run for about 3-4 mins in neutral...on level ground...checked it while running and it wasnt reaching the dipstick...after cutting it off for about a min...it was about half way up the cold area...so im assuming im low...it was below running temp...but between running and cold...so...????

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Needs to be hot (at full temp like after driving for several miles and stop and go traffic) and idling in neutral or park on flat ground. I usually check mine while fueling up every time.

·
Banned
733 Posts
It is easy to misread the dipstick and be low on fluid. If it runs low, you can damage the pump and get pump metal (bronze) into the valves that control the different gears.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so this is dumb...but.. i really couldnt find where to pour the fluid in... i know im stupid...lol

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
You pour the fluid in the dipstick tube...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats what i figured

1 - 11 of 11 Posts