Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed new stage 2 injectors and a TW 6 pos chip. I took it for a test drive and my truck does not want to shift from 1st to 2nd. I pulled the chip and it will shift but only after you bring it up to 2100rpm then decelerate, it will then shift smoothly. It will not shift under acceleration. 2nd-3rd is fine and so is OD. I put a scanner on it and have NO codes. It does not feel like it is slipping but simply will not shift. Could the new power have damaged the trannie this quickly, I had no issues before. Seems like a sensor but not having any codes concerns me. I will call DP in the am but was hoping someone has an idea. Due to my most recent mods I am broke. bad time for the trannie to go. really hoping it is not that bad. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
738 Posts
you have the edge stuff unhooked except the gauges right? any flashing o/d light? Strange that it keeps doing it without the chip in. i had a car do the same thing, only it was because 2nd was out, and so it would shift to third after i let off the accelerator. Hope its something easy and cheap!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually the Eddge is disconnected just have not updated my info yet.
I thought disconnecting the chip would solve the problem too, no such luck.
thanks

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Why call DP when you have a TW chip?

Did this start right after the chip...maybe reset the big connector on the back of the CPU again..make sure its tight.

How long have you had the 2's? How many miles on the trans?

Even without a chip you will be making more power with 2's and a stock trans won't last.

Yes stage 2's could damage the trans very quick but I don't think thats the problem....yet, sounds like its something to do with the CPU ...damage from the chip install??

Cary

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Cary,
No I mistyped DP I put a call into Tony this morning waiting to hear back.
I put the stage 2 in last wed am, along with the chip. I pulled both battery cables and pulled pcm/cpu then installed double duct taped it in. I took it for a short ride thursday am and it was not real bad but noticible. i did not get back to it until Sunday this is when I pulled the chip and the problem was still there. There was no issue before the swap. Trans has 115K on it I do not know if the filter fluid has ever been changed.When I get home i will double check the connections again. I knew the trannies days were number but I did not think it would be instantly. I was hoping to get through the summer at least. Thank you, Ray

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
Im sure Tony will get back to you soon.... if its still doing it with the chip out then its not the chip.

my tranny went out right after i installed the juice. around 1 month before i started to notice things going bad until it finally died. i think your trans might of been going out already and the extra power of the stage 2's just helped it.... hope its not this bad. you might have to take it to a trans shop and have them take a look at it.

-Raul

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
959 Posts
Manually put it in 2nd and see what happens. If it slips you know what your problem is. Mine did pretty much exactly what you are describing when it went. I was doing a big burn off and it shifed to 2nd and acted wierd so I let off. As I pulled away it wouldn't shift out of 1st then once the speed got up a bit and I backed out it hit 2nd real quick then went straight into 3rd. I drove it for 2 or 3 weeks while I waited for my new tranny and would just rev it up a ways in 1st then back out so it'd go into 3rd then roll back into it again. Give Brian at BTS a call. Do it sooner than later though because I know they are backed up quite a bit for getting transmissions out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made sure the connection was tight on the pcm, I took it for another drive and put it in 2nd gear and it seemed to shift better uinder mild acceleration. When i took off in drive it did not want to shift under acceleration once I left off the pedal it shifted into 2nd then into 3rd. Once in 3rd it drove normal no apparent problems. I read about VSS but the speedo is working could it be a simple sensor somewhere.
I will call and make an appointment at a tranny shop for trouble shooting. And continue to look into possible problems while I wait.
Anyone know of a good shop in RI area??
Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
511 Posts
Have you even checked the trans fluid for level, smell and color?

I would suggest getting a BTS shipped to you and having local place install. To many horror stories of guys using their trusted local place and trans blows in a year.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Have you even checked the trans fluid for level, smell and color?

I would suggest getting a BTS shipped to you and having local place install. To many horror stories of guys using their trusted local place and trans blows in a year.
I couldn't agree with you more!!! Seems every time you see someone say they got a great deal on a trans 6 months to a year later you hear how they are pulling it again.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more!!! Seems every time you see someone say they got a great deal on a trans 6 months to a year later you hear how they are pulling it again.
If that long :doh:

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Sounds like the tranny was on the way out and when you added the injectors and chip it went ahead and killed it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Probably, but I was hoping there was a history of this and possibly a simple fix. I replaced VSS hoping it was an electrical issue. A lot of electronics now a days and was hoping it could be something other than the trans. Now I am on the look out for a trans any recommendations?? BTS seems to be a favorite, also heard good things about monster box. thanks for all the help

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
If that long :doh:
X2

Mine started going about 2 months after adding the extra power. Some get lucky and get the stocker to go longer - but it's only a matter of time....

CAn't go wrong with John Woods or BTS - both have great names & satisfied customers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why not monster box a friend had one and stands by it, what makes one better than the next. How does one decide which is a better trans.
Every site swears they are the best. My truck is a daily drive, its my only toy(all others went and have not been replaced). I hate when it is off the road, its been 3 weeks and 4 days since injectors failed and I took it off the road. I will order a new trans. but want to make a good decision on which one to get. Thanks for all the help, this site is great takes a lot of stress off knowing there is help out there.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Do a lot of reading. Monster box changed owners and Jasper's customer service is lacking.

What makes one better than the other is the amount of time spent on R&D to make it stronger and longer lasting. BTS and JW have done just this and that is why they have parts custom made for them that are not available on the open market. I sat there and watched what John Wood does to a transmission and he spent over 3hours just machining parts to accept different parts than ford parts. What he did made total since to me since two parts he changed to non-ford parts failed as a ford part.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts