Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
i have been through the whole class on reading smoke it is a good exercise.

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we have alotta new guys and as 1 of the senior firefighters I was asked by the training officer/fire marshal to lend a hand in training so now Iam trying to figure out about this hole teaching thing lol wondering what some other departments do

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
ok here is one for ya it is an air consumption drill every one goes on air and you do a physical activity ie. play floor hockey until your low air bell goes off and record the time. this is after everyone has breathed down a tank just hanging out watching tv or something else very low effort/energy. then compare the times so ppl have an idea as to how much air they go through

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok here is one for ya it is an air consumption drill every one goes on air and you do a physical activity ie. play floor hockey until your low air bell goes off and record the time. this is after everyone has breathed down a tank just hanging out watching tv or something else very low effort/energy. then compare the times so ppl have an idea as to how much air they go through
LOL we did training last week and after my 4th bottle I was pretty tuckered out but we were non-stop training for 4 hours. I KNOW we have 1 kid thats new but he can make 1 of our 30min. scott 4500psi bottles last bout 45min.s while doing strenuous work. But Iam not as young as I once was lol,lately I have been getting 25-30 out of a 30min.s bottle and thats being very liberal with my air

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
My dept does training every Monday night for 3-4hrs. Sometimes its classroom and lecture stuff, but for the most part in the late spring through mid fall we're outside, doing rescue drills, ladder work, hose/nozzle refresher, pump operation, practice burns, etc. We are currently trying to get a county wide RIT team setup, so that if a town has a fire they can call for a dedicated RIT team from another dept, so their guys can focus on the task. We have about 100 people scattered through 7 depts that have RIT 2 training. So its coming together.

-BG06.

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dept does training every Monday night for 3-4hrs. Sometimes its classroom and lecture stuff, but for the most part in the late spring through mid fall we're outside, doing rescue drills, ladder work, hose/nozzle refresher, pump operation, practice burns, etc. We are currently trying to get a county wide RIT team setup, so that if a town has a fire they can call for a dedicated RIT team from another dept, so their guys can focus on the task. We have about 100 people scattered through 7 depts that have RIT 2 training. So its coming together.

-BG06.
interesting, right now we sort of have a schedule of 2 monday nights a month and half of those arnt hands on training they arent even inside lecture or book work they are just bs'ing about this and that. but maybe I can talk the training officer into a sunday night (every sunday) training cause our guys need it, 90% of them are new and un-certified.89% of them havent been in a fire yet.:doh: Iam trying to get the "burn trailer" flash over fire simulator trailer down here to train with but its kinda a long road

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
That does suck, I hope that your training officer and chief take your suggestion seriously, you need guys that know what they are doing at the scene, be it a fire, accident, etc. That flash over trailer is pretty cool. I've been in it once when I went to the fire academy out here. Love to do it again. But you got to be careful with guys that are new. I will say this, we do BS sometimes for an hour before training, and there have been nights that we were going to do something but the training officer didn't show, and we'd end up just standing around bs'ing the whole night. It pissed me off a lot, and so ?I exercise before I go down for training every monday night, so at least if we end up not going outside, I can at least get exercise. But now at least we have 2 Lt's that do training and 2 Capt's that do training. And we have a former Capt that is now in charge of training the new guys, as well as them going to fire fighter I classes. We are one lucky dept, we have a Chief that cares that his men know what they are doing, so hopefully no one goes down on the scene.

-James.

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That does suck, I hope that your training officer and chief take your suggestion seriously, you need guys that know what they are doing at the scene, be it a fire, accident, etc. That flash over trailer is pretty cool. I've been in it once when I went to the fire academy out here. Love to do it again. But you got to be careful with guys that are new. I will say this, we do BS sometimes for an hour before training, and there have been nights that we were going to do something but the training officer didn't show, and we'd end up just standing around bs'ing the whole night. It pissed me off a lot, and so ?I exercise before I go down for training every monday night, so at least if we end up not going outside, I can at least get exercise. But now at least we have 2 Lt's that do training and 2 Capt's that do training. And we have a former Capt that is now in charge of training the new guys, as well as them going to fire fighter I classes. We are one lucky dept, we have a Chief that cares that his men know what they are doing, so hopefully no one goes down on the scene.

-James.
sounds like u r very lucky.................iam coming to ur dept. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts