Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see where you guys put the horns also the tank with compressor location. What compressor to get / url please plus to have 180 psi going to the horns whats best ?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump::bump:

·
Registered
297 Posts
my tank and comp are in my tool box. i drilled a hole in the box and the bed to run my wires and air line and mounted the 3 horn cluster on the frame rail but like a dumbass faced it forward so now and the first time i went in the mud it clogged it so now i have to take the horn apart

·
Registered
965 Posts
I put my horns where the space tire goes. No where else to put a set
of Leslie's

Compressor, tank, etc. are mounted on the frame on the pass. side.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
of Leslie's

wow.........those are sick :nod:

·
Registered
634 Posts
of Leslie's

Bama, what kind of compressor/tank setup do you have driving those Leslies?

PSI?

Thanks!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Bama, what kind of compressor/tank setup do you have driving those Leslies?

PSI?

Thanks!
I have a ViAir 450 continuous duty compressor with a pressure switch that cuts on when pressure gets down to 110psi and use an 8 gallon tank.

The pressure switch lets me build up to 150psi.

I actually need another tank and another compressor wouldn't hurt.

If I hit the horns for about 3 seconds, it dumps about 40psi of air.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yea but they are crazy loud for those 3 seconds...

My horns, compressor, and tank are all mounted on the passenger frame rail, I have a long bed so there is plenty of room. I am also running a ViAir 450c.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have a ViAir 450 continuous duty compressor with a pressure switch that cuts on when pressure gets down to 110psi and use an 8 gallon tank.

The pressure switch lets me build up to 150psi.

I actually need another tank and another compressor wouldn't hurt.

If I hit the horns for about 3 seconds, it dumps about 40psi of air.
Sounds like a nice setup...I was looking at the ViAir stuff the other day. Mind sharing what you paid for that setup? PM is fine if you prefer.

Any tips on finding a set of Leslies - got any connections down there in Albertville? :)

Not too far away. If I ever make it down there from Scottsboro, I'll have to holler so I can hear them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yea but they are crazy loud for those 3 seconds...

My horns, compressor, and tank are all mounted on the passenger frame rail, I have a long bed so there is plenty of room. I am also running a ViAir 450c.
Haha...I bet.

Makes you realize that those locamotives must be pushing some major air to run them as long as they do when coming up to crossings!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Actually, air volume is more important than air pressure.

Having as big an air line as possible will allow more air to flow.

Put big volume and great psi together and wha-la, it's a great combo.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
here is mine.
compressor

tank

filter

switches

I never got a pic of the horns but they are mounted on the outside of the frame rail under the passanger rear seat facing the rear with a piece of teflon in front of them so nothing gets thrown into them.

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
Gotta Get Me Some Air Horns Like That!!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ill post some pictures of my siege engineering train horn setup when I get a chance. I have dual compressors mounted in the bed (I have a tonneau cover) the 5 gallon tank is mounted on the passenger frame rail right under the rear passenger door and the triple horns are mounted right behind the rear passenger drivers door. Siege Engineering was a big company that sold a lot of train horns on ebay and a few ppl on here mentioned having them so I bought them but now there website has nothing on it for sale and they don't have anything listed on ebay anymore. They have replaced 5 of my compressors in less than a year and now they quit responding when I had trouble with my 6th compressor. But I must say for the price and for the first year they replaced my first few compressors no questions asked and without having to send my old ones back or anything. If I have anymore problems I was just buying a viar 450cc compressor and be done because compressor problems this often does get pretty annoying.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i work for the railroad and the main air tanks on our loco's is 120 to 140 psi, not sure how large the air tanks are, im sure well over 100 gals.

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
That'd be great man. You ever make it up to Scottsboro?
It was February of this year when I was last in Scottsboro. I was working with a friend in Hollywood laying some laminate flooring at a daycare school.

I would have like to gone to First Monday this month, but forgot all about it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts