Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you guys and girls with train horns out there what power supply did you use for the horn/compressor? did y'all use separate supply's? or did y'all splice them together?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
O yea if you have pictures that would be awesome as well.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
comon I know someone has a trainhorn

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
You need to run a big #10 or #8 from the battery to the compressor. Use a relay to turn it on and off and run the power supply for the relay off a key on switch. That way if you forget to turn it off the compressor will not drain your battery.

For the horns, any 12v power supply will work, they dont draw anything unless operating so... I have mine on a constant supply so I can just walk up and scare the hell out of people.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you splice the horn and compressor wires together?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
You could, but then anytime the compressor is on the horns will be open... and then the horns will not work without the compressor on.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got you, but I could run a straight wire to the battery with the horn, and at the same time have a different wire with a relay for the compressor., and what about grounds? Im not very electricity inclined. Just attach to the frame rail? or do I attach to the negative battery hole?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Just ground to the frame for both the horns and the compressor. You could run the wire for the horns off the battery, but then you have to go from the Battery thru the firewall to the button and back out the fire wall. If you find a constant hot in the cab, then you run from that, to the button, and out the fire wall, only one trip thru the fire wall!!! Fuse at the battery for the compressor, and one in the cab for the horns. Horn fuse should be around a 10amp, compressor 30amp. Get a 30amp relay from napa...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok im gonna do that, last question how does a relay work? do I have to manualy cut off the compressor or does it do that automatically?
O and my compressor came with a 30 amp inline fuse, but the horn didnt should I buy one?

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
You could but the solonoid on the train horn does not need near as large of a power supply. Heres my advice. Run #8 or #10 to the compressor depending on compressor size. If you are runnning a small 1 or 2 gallon airtank you can purchase a pressure switch which will turn the compressor off once it reaches the right pressure. To activate the horn you will have to run power from a switch inside the cab to the solonoid.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the compressor has an automatic cutoff switch

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Here is what you should have... and bear with me here...

Battery to Relay to pressure switch (should have come with the compressor and goes in the tank. It opens when the pressure gets to 200psi and closes when it gets to 170) to compressor. Then a ground to the frame.

From your relay you should have a key on wire into the cab to a switch and then a ground to the switch.

Your switch in the cab doesnt supply power to the compressor, only closes the relay allowing power to go to the pressure switch. When the air supply is low the pressure switch closes and supplys power to the compressor (turning it on of course). Then when the pressure is up to max the pressure switch opens and power is cut to the compressor (turning it off of course...LOL)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the compressor has a red and black wire coming outta the bottom the pressure switch is inside

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Then ground the Black and hook your power supply up to the red! You should be good to go!

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
the compressor has a red and black wire coming outta the bottom the pressure switch is inside

What compressor do you have? I have never heard of one having a switch built in because the switch has to read what pressure is in the tank.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Also does anyone know what wire to tap into for the selenoid, and where to find it, to active with stock horn (both button and lock/panic button)?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts