Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I just picked up some Nathan K5LA Air Chime's from a good friend at the railroad company. I've got the horns, now I need a way to blow em!

What type systems is everyone running and what did it cost?

Is there adequate mounting for something this big?

What tank size/compressor do you have and are you happy with the tank size? (does it give you enough blasts?)

I've thought about a nitrogen setup, but am not really sure what I want.

Here are some pictures.

I took 2 of the horns off the manifold and reversed them so they all faced the same direction.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
I only have a 3 horn set up, and it runs off a 3qt tank with a built in 120psi compressor. I cant remember the maker, father-in-law got it off eBay for me. :dunno:

It will give one good long blast, and it refills quickly. I went for the small size for ease of installation and and space. It probably wont be enough for those beasts though! :hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why I was thinking about a nitrogen setup. I can blow it as much as I want until the bottle is empty. Only problem....where do I mount the bottle???

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Here's my setup. I got mine off ebay. Go to ebay stores and go to mypushcart and they'll probably have a tank and compressor.

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
Holy Chit!! Those are monsters!! Yer gonna need some storage to sound ALL THAT
How much did that set ya back?
Check out ebay. They do have what yer looking for. Get something more commercial rated for constant run at over 100 psi

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hehe, I'm jealous!! I want some!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy Chit!! Those are monsters!! Yer gonna need some storage to sound ALL THAT
How much did that set ya back?
Check out ebay. They do have what yer looking for. Get something more commercial rated for constant run at over 100 psi
I got em for $300... ain't bad, but I'm guessing it's gonna cost me another $500 before everything is all said and done :doh:

Here's what they are asking for them on hornblasters.com ($1484.99)
Nathan K5LA AirChime (K5 Low Mount American Tune) Train Air Horn. Authentic Railway-Use Train Air Horn

I'd say I got one hell of a deal

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know what all you need for a nitrogen setup?

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
You'll need some plenty hefty CFMs to take full use of that bad boy, and atleast 100 PSI.

I still think a good air compressor or two/hefty tank setup that will put out the CFM and pressure. Refilling a tank will get old, and wont be worth the value over a good air compressor setup.

·
Registered
999 Posts
i would get a 5 gallon tank and try one decent compressor and if cant keep up add anothe compressor

Matt

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Holy @#$%. I'm going to be able to hear those on my side of the lake.:hehe::hehe: I agree with the others nitrogen might get old fast. You can do a 5 gallon tank and do 1 or 2 compressor setup. Can't wait to hear em.:woot::woot:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Running K5s on nitrogen is not going to work very well. They are a high demand horn and you would likely have to fill the tank once every other week if not every week. It will take less than a year for the nitrogen cost to pay for a good compressor and tank setup. Get a good compressor like a Viair 450c and at least 5 gallons of storage. With this setup you can also plumb it to inflate tires and such. On-board air is always a very good thing.

·
PIPE HITTER
1,472 Posts
I have a Viair 20003 piggybacked on an aux 5 gal tank, for 6.5 gals total, it runs 2 sets of air gorns, and runs them well...:)

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Running K5s on nitrogen is not going to work very well. They are a high demand horn and you would likely have to fill the tank once every other week if not every week. It will take less than a year for the nitrogen cost to pay for a good compressor and tank setup. Get a good compressor like a Viair 450c and at least 5 gallons of storage. With this setup you can also plumb it to inflate tires and such. On-board air is always a very good thing.
:popcorn: Will be checking in on this thread more later on...

I'm becoming increasingly interested in this...

·
Banned
0 Posts
The 450C draws 15 amps and produces almost 1 cfm (.97) at 90 psi. It is also weatherproof for under truck mounting. Even with 5 gallons of storage the K5 can drain you down to nothing if you lean on it a little. Hopefully JJKPowerstroke will see this and chime in. He is really a wealth of knowledge on the train horns.

Something else you need to think about Steve is securing those horns to prevent someone else from "acquiring" them the same way you basically did. The K5 commands a minimum of $1000 and up to $1600. Don't believe for a minute that your train guy is the last one willing to "acquire" a set of K5s for a small profit.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 450C draws 15 amps and produces almost 1 cfm (.97) at 90 psi. It is also weatherproof for under truck mounting. Even with 5 gallons of storage the K5 can drain you down to nothing if you lean on it a little. Hopefully JJKPowerstroke will see this and chime in. He is really a wealth of knowledge on the train horns.

Something else you need to think about Steve is securing those horns to prevent someone else from "acquiring" them the same way you basically did. The K5 commands a minimum of $1000 and up to $1600. Don't believe for a minute that your train guy is the last one willing to "acquire" a set of K5s for a small profit.
So it sounds like I'm gonna go with a compressor setup. I think I'm going to try to mount the horns underneath my toolbox in the back of my bed. I haven't looked underneath my truck to see if they will fit yet.

I figure they won't get as dirty in the bed as underneath.

Should I go with a 200psi setup or a 150?

Anyone have some good mounting ideas so I can keep these horns around for a while?

·
Banned
0 Posts
You won't be able to use more than about 140 psi on the K5. 150 is more than you will ever need for anything. If they fit under the toolbox that would be good. Maybe even make some sort of security screen to close the gap under the box.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You won't be able to use more than about 140 psi on the K5. 150 is more than you will ever need for anything. If they fit under the toolbox that would be good. Maybe even make some sort of security screen to close the gap under the box.
I'm thinking I might raise the toolbox up a little by adding some sort of spacer block so that the horns will fit. A security screen would be great...

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
you lucky dog!!! I work for the railroad and Im still wating to find a set of k5la's :doh:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts