Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to stop sway when towing with a pintle? I have a 7 ton trailer I fill to about capacity. Last trip my gross was 23,435 and I had 13,982 on the trailer. I'm towing with a pintle in the factory receiver. All my tire pressures were at max and I front loaded everything as much as I could. I would get some violent swaying on the highway if I went over 50, had to change lanes, or slow down. What can I do?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Load it differently first. You don't want EVERYTHING at the front. You want it evenly distributed, with just a bit more at the front than rear.
Also, you're probably overloading the receiver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with the fact that I'm probably overloading the receiver. The other issue is I'm hauling coal and it doesn't stay where you load it. Perhaps I need to figure out if I can modify the trailer to use a 2 5/16 ball with a WDH? As well, this morning I took my pintle hook and put it on the ring. I was amazed by the amount of play. I have about 10 degrees of rotation and about a 1/4 inch back and forth. How much play is normal?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Pintles, by design, have movement everywhere in them.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Load it differently first. You don't want EVERYTHING at the front. You want it evenly distributed, with just a bit more at the front than rear.
Also, you're probably overloading the receiver.
Exactly, you've got too much wright on the front making the front of the truck lite.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am also having a sway problem with my pintle and was looking for some advice to combat this. I haul a dual axle tilt car hauler, typically with a light truck loaded on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
get rid of the pintle and get a 2 5/16 ball with a hitch thats the proper height (trailer sits flat) and im sure a weight distributing hitch wouldnt hurt either. Pintle hooks have too much slop in them, especially when the trailer is loaded wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts