Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I hook up to either my box trailer or my boat trailer it doesnt register either one. I will pull the two switches together to make them apply the brakes and it says "TRAILER DISCONNECTED" does anyone know what the problem is? My local Ford Dealership couldnt figure it out this morning!

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I had this problem but I can't remember what it was. I want to say that the ground and the trailer brake wire were backwards.. I was using an adapter for 7 prong to 6 prong and I had to "re-wire" the adapter..

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had this same problem with 3 of my trailers. One of which I bought brand new and had the same problems. Dealer has had it 3 times and cannot figure it out. Says its my trailers or the adapter plug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Message center displaying "Wiring Fault On Trailer":
This may occur due to water intrusion/corrosion in the trailer connector socket or the connector behind the socket. If corrosion is present, replace the socket and harness and lube with silicone dielectric grease. If there are no signs of water, perform normal diagnosis. Broadcast Message 7052, 7108.

I have seen some of the connectors with very little dielectric grease in them. Pull the connector off and clean everything good, then fill the bastard with dielectric.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I get trailer disconnected, not wiring fault...

But, the brakes will still work if you pull the slide on the controller, but not just by pressing your foot on the brakes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had the trailer disconnected message as well, but I had no brakes at all. Was tough to get an 18k trailer stopped with just the brakes on the truck. I looked for any place where the wiring may be rubbing on the truck and made sure all the contacts looked good and found nothing wrong. If I unplug the trailer then plug it back in everything will work again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually any message about the trailer/wiring can be caused by the connector. It is an easy 5 minute check.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i'm having the same problem the truck will not read the trailer it did the first couple of times but now it will not

·
Registered
76 Posts
My problem is similar, but it usually comes up with the message while I'm driving and I just touch the connection and it clears. I can't figure out what it is because it happens with all 3 of my trailers, but only on the 450. The other trucks are other brands :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
For give me if I'm asking the obvious, but does the boat trailer have electric brakes? Most I've pulled, if they had brakes, where surge style since the electric drums aren't the most friendly to being submerged.

On the box trailer, I would check the aforementioned stuff and grounds on the trailer. I recently had the same issue with a buddies trailer, turned out to be a bad ground to the axles.

Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
So has switching to a 7 prong fixed the problem? Or does it need a 6 prong wired correctly? I have a newer haulmark trailer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just my .02, I had problems with one of my trailers which was electric over hydraulic braking, turned out the actuator was not compatible with the Ford Tow Command system. I had to change out the actuator from a Carlisle to a Dexter to the tune of about $800.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
So has switching to a 7 prong fixed the problem? Or does it need a 6 prong wired correctly? I have a newer haulmark trailer.
Put a 7 prong on it. Otherwise get a 6 to 7 prong adapter

·
Registered
68 Posts
My problem ended up being an extra power wire that was connected in the brake control box. After months of fighting and arguing, Anderson trailers knew exactly what it was and all I had to do was cut the wire. Now it works perfect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts