Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulling my gooseneck trailer this evening and this message came on.Lights and brakes were still working.A few miles down the road " trailer connected" message came on.It done this once more before I got home.Trailer wiring harness connection good and tight.Any suggestions to check?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd try blowing out the plug with some compressed air. It's possible something got in there and disrupted the circuit. Could be a simple fix.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You have an unusual problem. I would think there is a loose connection or bulb socket in the trailer somewhere causing this message.

You will need to collect more info to find it. Does the message appear right after a bump or rough bridge?? Maybe it happens after aggressive braking??

Sounds like the circuit is being broken and then reconnecting itself, , , prolly on the trailer.

I can say from experience that a running light out will not do this. I had a side clearance light completely corrode away the terminals in the socket and the light was out but no message.

I think the brake circuit may be the place to look??

Good Luck with it

·
Registered
247 Posts
This has happened to me twice. All I did was unplug the trailer from the truck and plug it back in. That took care of the problem both times so, it does sound like a connection problem.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Don't forget, could be magnet wires in the hubs.

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem did occur I noticed the second time after hitting a rough section of road.
I pulled my bumper pull trailer this evening and no problems so the problem must be in the plug in the bed or the trailer.It will be a few days before I have a chance to check it out.Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its probably an old or dirty/corroded plug on the trailer. All my trailers would do this in extreme cold or wet slushy conditions. I would change the plugs on the trailers every time I get a new truck (2-3 years) and that would pretty much take care of the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You losing a ground between you truck and trailer. I have had a couple of trailers do this because of my B&W hitch. What I have done is make sure that my trailer is grounded to its self. Now I don't have this problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This has happened to me twice. All I did was unplug the trailer from the truck and plug it back in. That took care of the problem both times so, it does sound like a connection problem.
ditto :):):)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Happens frequently to me too to going over big bumps or a rough section of road. Trailer disconnected and Trailer connected messages. Haven't found a fix yet. May look into the trailer grounding previous poster mentioned and spray off the connections with some eletrical contact cleaner.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Next time you hook up to your trailer, when you plug it in put a Ziptie around
the pigtail and the plug in cover.
Doug

·
Registered
124 Posts
Keep in mind the message only relates to the Braking system. Could be a faulty magnet in any of the Brake assemblies, or any one of the magnets losing it's ground.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this same problem with my truck, I hooked up a pair of jumper cables to the trailer and then the other two ends to a good ground on my truck and the problem went away, so I did up a new ground wire on my trucks plug and the problem has not come back.:rofl:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most of the problems I have seen is because ,either with gooseneck or bumper trailers, the trailers are losing ground because the hitch is not making a good ground, either it's moving around to much or it's a rusted ball/hitch. My B&W is the worst. But since I have ground all my trailers back to there self that has fixed it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts