Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the built in trailer brake controller but it doesnt have the gain that my last one did. In my old truck I could lock up the brakes if I turned them all the way up. I dont want to lock them up but I would like to be able to feel them slowing me down on long steep grades here in the mountains of Wyoming. If I slide the bar all the way over I can feel them working but it isn't near as strong as I would like. Is there a way to make them engage stronger? They are already on setting 10.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
How long ago did you use the previous truck vs this one? It is possible to have a faulty controller but I’d start with ensuring the brakes are adjusted correctly, and the drums aren’t glazed. Break things up into sections. Check out the wiring and connectors to the brakes, as well as the voltage. Then start working your way forward to the 7 pin and to the controller. If you have corrosion at the 7 pin, it could be enough of a voltage drop to affect the effectiveness of the trailer brakes.
If you don’t have a second person, a pry bar or long screwdriver against the brake pedal and seat works well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts