Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advise on rear end mod for sled pullin:

If I do away with the Air Bags and go to one ton springs to get to the 26'' without using 80PSI of air that will help more with axle wrap?

What about using a super heavy overload on top (heavier than a factory overload) and then fab up some frame brackets (factory holes are already there) that give it the 1'' minimum spring travel. This would also help more with axle wrap besides the traction bars correct? The frame mounts would have to come off for normal driving though. What does anyone think about this?

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
You could do traction bars with your airbags and retain factory ride like quality :dunno:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already made the traction bars. Check your post about them.

I need to do something else for the squatting besides the air bags they hold the factory springs up to high and encourage the axle wrap more. Last year I pulled three times with no air and all was well axcept for I was giving up about 8'' of hitch height. The last pull last year I went 100PSI on the bags and I hopped like a bunny all the way down the track, I had sparks coming from underneath (u-joints binding) I don't know how somehing didn't break.:hehe:

I need to keep the hitch height as high as possible and some sanctioning bodies frown on blocking so I want to be setup for any pull I can make it to.

Thanks for your help Maintain.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Only idea i have would be to four link it that way you could get rid of all your axle wrap but are gonna be spending alot of time and money moving things out of the way or into the bed and building the link bars them selves

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well to fix your axle wrap you could build some better traction bars. Build them like ladder bars with two mounting places in the rear and a shackle or slip joint at the frame mounting location to keep it from binding. That will eliminate all axle wrap.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need some more strenght in the rear end as far as squatting goes. I think the traction bars are fine, I just wonder if the heavy spring would help even more with the axle wrap.

I do not want huge spring stack to ride like a lumber wagon, any ideas besides overloads?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts