Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the differences are between Traction Bars and Traction Blocks? And what is the difference between short gusset and Large gusset.
Thanks

James.

·
Registered
79 Posts
? no body have a answer. I was sondering the same thing

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Traction bars mount from the axle to the frame, but this won't prevent the block from moving. Traction blocks have the traction bar attached from the lift block to the frame giving you the added benefit by preventing the block from twisting.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide app.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I've noticed that the blocks are usually $200-300 more than the bars, and also it seems that OUO is the only company that makes the blocks.

James.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Yep, that sounds about right.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Make them yourself I did. Cost 20 bucks for steel.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Well I've noticed that the blocks are usually $200-300 more than the bars, and also it seems that OUO is the only company that makes the blocks.

James.
To answer your questions. You have 3 mounting options with OUO. Weld on, bolt on brackets and I you have a lift then you have the blocks. I've ran the block version for over 2 years no issues. I had the 9" with 5* pinion angle. Now I have the bolt on bracket. I also have the adjustable large gusset. Again no issues wih the bars them selves and Dave swapped me free of charge to switch to the bolt on bracket and paid for the shipping both ways. You will never have an issue with customer service with truck toyz or dealing with Dave.

Make them yourself I did. Cost 20 bucks for steel.
As to yours. They may function for your taste and budget but I can assure you they are no where the quality or function remotely near what OUO has.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why did you go with the Large Gusset instead of the Small Gusset?

James.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
When I had my lift they just flowed with the truck since I had an 8" lift. They still look great even though I'm 3" lower than stock

·
Registered
79 Posts
If im reading this right your saying that the lift blocks attatch to you blocks on your lift? If so i dont need to worry about it my loft is all leaf springs minus the angel block. so if Im correct I only need traction bars. sorry if im looking at the wrong Im still learning terms of all this and whats what.

·
Registered
79 Posts
my truck is a 2000 also not a 08 or newer. didn't even notice what forum i was in just searched traction bars.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
hey eric.david , i just purchased a pair from top gun customz ,its there own brand there starting to make , but just fastens to axle ,very solid , im going to run no bigger than a 5.5" block in back if i go with the 4" lift i want, My question is do you think i would notice a differance/cause blocks to twist from the block bars to traction bars with just a mild horsepower gain? or is this something that would happen with alot more hp?

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
You can also get PMF traction blocks I have them and they work great.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
hey eric.david , i just purchased a pair from top gun customz ,its there own brand there starting to make , but just fastens to axle ,very solid , im going to run no bigger than a 5.5" block in back if i go with the 4" lift i want, My question is do you think i would notice a differance/cause blocks to twist from the block bars to traction bars with just a mild horsepower gain? or is this something that would happen with alot more hp?
the blocks shouldn't move. Depending on how the kits made and if its anything like OUO the U-bolts will go through the block. Then the bars will attach to the block with a 5/8" bolt and you'll either weld or bolt on the bracket for the bars.

Like I mentioned before I had OUO's traction block set up with a 9" block. My lift was on my truck for over 2yrs and the entire time I had the 275+ tune loaded the entire time. And not once did I have an issue related to suspension.

·
Registered
286 Posts
To answer your questions. You have 3 mounting options with OUO. Weld on, bolt on brackets and I you have a lift then you have the blocks. I've ran the block version for over 2 years no issues. I had the 9" with 5* pinion angle. Now I have the bolt on bracket. I also have the adjustable large gusset. Again no issues wih the bars them selves and Dave swapped me free of charge to switch to the bolt on bracket and paid for the shipping both ways. You will never have an issue with customer service with truck toyz or dealing with Dave.

As to yours. They may function for your taste and budget but I can assure you they are no where the quality or function remotely near what OUO has.
20 bucks was only for steel for 6 inch blocks not bars, I all ready had that tubing..

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sure you can make good bars your self, but some people don't have any metal working skills or welding skills or any of the tools needed.

James.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts