Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Going back to your statement that a trackbars geometry can be changed without lowering it is not true. A trackbar does nothing for the geometry in relation to the steering drag link. It makes no difference what bends or kinks are in that bar. It's a point to point equation. Only thing the aftermarket trackbar can do is put the oem ball joint back to its neutral position and of coarse get shorter or longer as needed.
That was my point was correcting the track bar ball joint angle, not the track bar geometry. I left out "ball joint" on my last statement. I will edit my post for clarification. I'm well aware that bends do not matter :)

As for correction of geometry, correct geometry for the track bar is whatever matches your drag link configuration.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I replaced the Pure Performance with the Carli track bar and made two observtions. #1, as was mentioned earlier by @ZMANN and @mhatlen, there was a little slop in the heim joint with the factory bolt. Using the sleeves that came with the Carli, no slop. Since replacing the track bar, I've hear no more pops, clunks, or whatever, although I only have a couple hundred miles on it. So, it seems this time around the clunk was from the top end, and not the ball joint like the previous cases (guessing the first was just coincidence of timing and the 2nd was just a lemon). Observation #2, the ball joint now rests closer to verticle side-to-side with the Carli bar, however the track bar tends to rest rotated toward the back of the vehicle. I seem to recall a post in one of the many Carli related threads somewhere that addressed this, and if I recall correctly is nothing to be concerned with. So, I'm going to drive it and see if anything else 'pops' up...

Oh yea - observation #3 (I know, I said 2...), using a 1/2" drive Snap On ratchet and 6 foot cheater bar to tighten the track bar bolt = broken ratchet. Should have waited on my buddy returning my big breaker and tourque wrench....

Thanks again, everyone, for the input!

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I replaced the Pure Performance with the Carli track bar and made two observtions. #1, as was mentioned earlier by @ZMANN and @mhatlen, there was a little slop in the heim joint with the factory bolt. Using the sleeves that came with the Carli, no slop. Since replacing the track bar, I've hear no more pops, clunks, or whatever, although I only have a couple hundred miles on it. So, it seems this time around the clunk was from the top end, and not the ball joint like the previous cases (guessing the first was just coincidence of timing and the 2nd was just a lemon). Observation #2, the ball joint now rests closer to verticle side-to-side with the Carli bar, however the track bar tends to rest rotated toward the back of the vehicle. I seem to recall a post in one of the many Carli related threads somewhere that addressed this, and if I recall correctly is nothing to be concerned with. So, I'm going to drive it and see if anything else 'pops' up...

Oh yea - observation #3 (I know, I said 2...), using a 1/2" drive Snap On ratchet and 6 foot cheater bar to tighten the track bar bolt = broken ratchet. Should have waited on my buddy returning my big breaker and tourque wrench....

#1 & #2: Awesome! Glad it's handled. Yes, the Heim on the top and ball joint on the bottom means the bar can misalign without deflecting. Grab int and rotate it front and back to see what I am talking about, no biggie. It will move as the axle shifts forward and back but is not a problem.

#3: Goot thing Snap-On has a lifetime warranty!

·
Administrator
29,325 Posts
#3: Good thing Snap-Off has a lifetime warranty!

fixed it for you :laugh2:

Clark glad you have this behind you ! i don't think it will be an issue again

i will keep my eye on the classifieds for the Pure bar :nerd:

·
Registered
925 Posts

LOL!! I know what you mean there. I snapped a 1/2" ratchet (cheap Stanley POS) and a 1/2" breaker bar the other day adjusting mine... justified me buying a good 3/4" drive set.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
LOL!! I know what you mean there. I snapped a 1/2" ratchet (cheap Stanley POS) and a 1/2" breaker bar the other day adjusting mine... justified me buying a good 3/4" drive set.
That's the answer right there. I have a Proto 3/4" socket set and it's priceless when you are dealing with big stuff. If you got mula go with Mac or Snap On ............
That trackbar bolt takes a rediculas amount of torque.

·
Registered
925 Posts
worst part was I only need the one socket and a breaker bar... too bad all shops around me only carry full sets and not just individual sockets

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
41 - 49 of 49 Posts