Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck wont stay below 1000 degrees while pulling a 35ft toy hauler. How long can i drive with my temps so high?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
From what i have read your ok as long as you stay below 1200*.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even for long periods of time? Im on a road trip pulling this thing

·
Registered
11 Posts
1000 deg. is no problem all day long. 1200-1250 for extended periods of time can cause some damage. This is all assuming your egt probe is pre turbo. Btw what part of MT? Boze here.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It depends on a few variables.

What tune are you running? Are you driving up steep inclines or grades? Tow/Haul on?

I ran the HD300 on no power (50 HP) pulling a 37' fiver through the texas hill country. I averaged 700-800 EGTs. Are you lugging the transmission? I try to keep it about 1800-2000 rpm. That will help keep the EOT low and the EGT low as well.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so im kind of being luggy with it ill stop that now theres hills nothin to serious yet till i reach bozeman. Im from corvallis just south of missoula if you didnt know. Headed back from north dakota

·
Registered
215 Posts
Whew! Man I'm from Houston. It doesnt get much flatter out here. Unless you head to San Antonio/Hill Country.

My suggestion - definitely try not to lug the transmission. Find a good speed you are comfortable with and look at your transmission tune settings.

I am running the S1M (4th and 5th lockup) with the 5th gear shift point right about 55 mph. I ran about 68-70 mph which is a comfortable speed for me plus my rpms were right under 2000. keeps the trans from lugging but also not overheating the hell out of the engine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Good Luck!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks lol been doin better all ready. I wish i could re gear to 3.73s i have 3.55s yeah im at the same trans tune tranny temps good nothin over 180 so far. And im running no power tune setting. Thanks everyone for the fast responses

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would love that lol

·
Registered
544 Posts
Coming in on the back side of this conversation but my two cents,

My 450 4.30 gears and auto trans hauled a 24ft trailer at about 8000# from the east coast to Montana this summer I saw EGTs on the flats of 975 to 1250 with a nominal of 1050. What concerned me was climbing hils west of Rapid city on I90. Temps quickly shot through the roof on the climbs. Downshifting helped cool things off but the current tunning would not hold the trans in 4th gear... ( Fixing that)

Called out to a couple of Diesel performance shops and this is what I am doing to control the temps.

PTP suggested the follow and for these reasons:

"I'll list a recipe of what I think will offer you the best overall daily performance.

First thing would be a full EGR delete, this alone will help with EGT's and longevity.

Second thing would be a ported intake such as a GoGo stage I, this will also help with EGT's and pick up low end power.

Third thing would be a set of Industrial Injection Phat Shaft modified factory turbos, this again will lower EGT's and increase power across the RPM band.

Forth thing I would recommend would be a good set of after market exhaust manifolds and up pipes like steed speed has, these will also help the low end turbo spool, power and EGT's. The upgraded bellows in the up pipes will also take the abuse of heavy towing with of fatiguing and leaking over time.

A good converter will help out too just by handling the power load better, less slip equals less heat here. I would highly recommend a set of ARP studs to accompany these modifications to help aid the increased cylinder pressures. Also a nice and cheap addition would be a coolant filter kit, this will clean all of the sand left over from the sand cast molds the engine block was cast in. Thats the # 1 killer of the cooling system because its eats away at the water pump, freeze plugs and oil cooler. Less trash in the system the better it will cool. "

I am heading this way in the spring and adding an exhaust brake as well. need a way to slow this beast down better than the OEM program.

My truck is tunned with H&S 300 programming and I run the Mild tune empty or light loaded and no power heavy.

Trans is stock for now just keeping up with 30K mile fluid changes

gearing is 4.30:1 but with 34.5 tall tires the effective is 3.98:1

DPF/DOC are MIA and the EGR is coming out this weekend.

My run west I was on the Crusie control the whole time set to 70. Pulling the hills I dropped the cruise and drove by EGT at one point I was down to 50mph climbing out of WY and still pulling 1200 degrees.

In this configuration I can not use the power the engine makes to pull a significant load at fair speeds plus my mileage sucked. Average of 4200 miles was 9.78 with a high of 10.2 and a low of 8.8. At one point in South Dakota on the flats I was seeing 1175* running 70 and slowing to 65 (now 10mph under) seeing 1190-1200* (something to do with a 30mph headwind).

I have faith in PTP that we can get this beast to perform much better and improve mileage and power application while controling EGTs.

Cheers

Something I would really like to know all opinions aside, what is the Ford/Navistar EGT max continous safe temp for the 6.4? Withthe designed Regen system making killer heat starting at the #4/8 cylinder and the pistons are an Aluminum Alloy what is the spec temp? This high egt runs from the Pistons to the Turbo to the DOC/DPF stock I can't believe that the OEM would purposly ignor the this issue just to get emmissions in spec that makes no sense.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It all just depends on how much money you want to throw at it.

For us poor folk that dont do heavy hauling that much. I can deal.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It all just depends on how much money you want to throw at it.

For us poor folk that dont do heavy hauling that much. I can deal.
$25,000 to $60,000 for a truck poor folk?

My goal is to improve the efficentcy of the system, 8k# is by no means heavy thus the rub with the EGTs/performance. Then there is the ROI If all works well the Return On Investment should be paid off in a few years with better efficency & longevity.
The story is the same Pay me now or Pay Me later one is usually cheaper and reaps increased benifits over the other.

·
Registered
215 Posts
$25,000 to $60,000 for a truck poor folk?

My goal is to improve the efficentcy of the system, 8k# is by no means heavy thus the rub with the EGTs/performance. Then there is the ROI If all works well the Return On Investment should be paid off in a few years with better efficency & longevity.
The story is the same Pay me now or Pay Me later one is usually cheaper and reaps increased benifits over the other.
Couldnt have said it better myself. The ROI will determine this. In my case, without much heavy hauling and mostly highway driving to and from work, all I feel I need is a tuner, intake and dpf delete with an EGR delete in the future. I dont think I'll go much past that.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is some awesome info thank you. I have new coolant and coolant filter going on soon as i get home. And have been looking into egr deletes i just read a bunch of stuff on all those upgrades also someone elses build on here i would love to do all that maybe sometime down the road. Definitely egr delete coming soon though. Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
an egr delete with intake elbow, CAC pipe and a 4" down pipe should make a significant difference in egt's :thumb:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2wd with 373's I pull alot of trailers all over the country usually averaging 9k lbs. I keep it around 65mph and my EGT's usually are from 6 to 800. Im deleted but still have the EGR for now. Even going up hill holding 65 to 70 they dont get much over 1000. I keep the H&S HD300 set on mild, get 11.8 mpg no matter if there are hills or the weight of the trailer....I know that sounds weird but its true. Ive done 50k miles like this since 6/1/12

·
Registered
138 Posts
Subscribing

1 - 20 of 24 Posts