Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lately i have had to tow a 30ft gooseneck loaded about 12-14000 lbs, what setting should i be towing on? i have econo, daily, heavy tow and extreme. i was towing in heavy tow but dont have much power and i dont have guages so i dont want to run extreme, however daily seems to make my trans slam gears really bad. also can i run overdrive pulling this much weight? i always take it out of overdrive but my rpms are running high when i am doing 65-70.

·
Registered
771 Posts
You can run/tow in any of them... just monitor your temps and do whatever feels best for your application.

but I would ABSOLUTELY get gauges to watch your temps before towing with a chip.

·
Registered
771 Posts
...and towing in OD will make your temps sky high and be hell on your tranny.

there is nothing wrong with your rpms running high... thats what diesels are made for, to work. and again... get gauges and watch your temps.

·
Registered
433 Posts
the whole towing in od is a thread in itself. i tow in od all the time with 262k on the clock. but i wouldn't run without guages to monitor everything!!!

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
Definately get some gauges man they are cheap insurance and let you now whats going on with the truck especially when towing

·
Registered
521 Posts
In stock with my 14,000 lb 5er I can hot 1,500* in no time going up hill.

As said before, Towing with OD is a different story, Out of OD and your temps will be lower.
With No gauges, stay OFF of the go pedal. Unless you want a new turbo. Then by all means, pedal to the metal.

And wear good shoes. Youll need them to get back.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
im with everyone else.... i wouldnt be towing without gauges..... a $300.00 pair of gauges could mean the diff of blowing your engine or trans.......

you should be towing on the tow setting... do not tow on the extreme setting.. with that kind of weight your egt's are gonna be very high.... get the gauges and monitor what its doing on the tow setting... if you feel it can handle a lil more then put it on the extreme if you want but i wouldn't recommend it

-Raul

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts