Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Towing with tire chains?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Kmay 
#1 ·
Not sure if I should put this here or in the towing sections since my question really pertains to Colorado. If it needs to be moved mods please feel free.

I will be towing a load on my 28ft deck over into telluride coming up 145 for some family friends of ours. They told us that that chains are required but were not specific as to weather we just needed to have them in the truck or if weather up there is that bad already.

So can anyone tell me what is required? I read on the Colorado state patrol website that 4wd vehicles are not required to have chains from what I could tell.

Any insight will be helpful.

I'm considering ordering a set just to have them just incase and return them of they don't get used. Being from Texas they won't get a whole lot of use down here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
I'm 99% sure it just pertains to commercial vehicles. That being said pulling a trailer loaded threw the mountains with out them can get a little scary. The trailer tends to push you and you can jack knife really easy. If it was me I would have them just in case. Also most places won't return chains no matter what. That part of the country gets lots of snow and the passes are steep. If you do get chains I recommend just regular mud chains and not the ice breakers. The ice breakers tend to wear out quicker. I like to chain up the rear tires when pulling a trailer just to help cut down on the chance of jack knifing it. Lots of people say to run them in the front so you can steer.

#4 ·
That was going to be my second question, are they suggested, and it sounds like they are.

I was planing on buying some thru Amazon then just returning them after I got back but it won't be a big deal of I end up having to keep them.

#6 ·
Nope not for hire. Just moving a piece of yard art up for some friends and in return they are letting us stay in their cabin for thanksgiving.

Looks like I'll be atleast ordering a set for my front axle and one set for one of the axles on the trailer. Both are brake axles but will put it on the rear axle.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy both but I'm going to be upping my tire size from a 285/70r17 to a 285/75r17. If they will still work on the larger tire size then I'll be buying both.

#8 ·
I think just one set on the rear of your truck will do you fine if you need them at all. No need for any on the trailer. They should fit both sizes. We are supposed to get weather here starting Saturday night and ending on Tuesday.

#9 ·
It's almost an inch taller on the tire.

It's a gravel bucket weighs 3000 lbs. Vehicle Rust Metal Car Wheel

Trailer is a 20gvw dual tandem deck over.

Load and trailer prolly weight close to 9k. I'll know when I get it on the scales.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.