Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...Let's see if I can get this right so you all know what I am talking about.

I take my truck out wheeling quite a bit and really miss the spool my Jeep had in the back. I haven't seen one for our trucks, but if i can find one, I would really like to put a spool in the back of this vehicle too. My question is this...Does anyone have any real world experience towing with true posi? Such as a Detroit Locker, Spool, ARB or OX Locker locked in? I currently have the limited slip, but I don't think it limits the slip near enough.

The reason I am looking for real world experience is because I was told never to get a spool to drive on the road, get a Detroit locker. I did both and the spool drove way better on the road than the detroit. I have also been told that anything more than a clutch type limited slip would be terrible for towing because the extra weight over the rear would cause turning problems. I can understand how this could be true, but the people saying this drive small trucks or cars and just don't have the experience. Hoping some of you guys/gals have done this and can offer some insight. Thanks.
-Aaron

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I really don't understand were you are coming from:dunno:. But I would never spool a rearend I was going to tow with. When you turn that inside tire will not give. It would be a crappy trip.
You must be towing in snow or mud. If you pull a Fifth Wheel. And have L/S
You would have enough weight over the rear axle not to slip on pretty much any surface.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok...That is kind of what I was looking for, but let me try and clarify a bit. I used to have a Jeep that I drove every day, and it was up north where it got pretty crappy in the winter. It had a spool, in the rear and I really liked the added traction that it gave. It actually drove better with the spool than the locker. I would really like to get a spool or other "true posi" put in the rear of my truck for off-roading, but I occasionally tow with this truck. I am looking to see if anyone has experience towing with a posi unit of some type. I don't regularly tow and was trying to decide it it was worth spending twice the money for a selectable locker, not to mention having to drill a hole in my differential housing. I am not having any problems now as it relates to towing, I am just not wanting to ruin my trucks ability to tow. Thanks for the reply...I know sometimes I am not clear in what I am asking...Hopefully this will be better.
-Aaron

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
No problem, It is pretty clear now, Maybe it was the way I was reading it. Ya a spool would be killer in the snow. 100% power both wheels equal all the time. I have ran a couple of spools in race cars, One mini and the other regular. But I went straight a 1/4 mile.
Sorry I was no help man. But I could not imagine running a spool in my truck.
I am sure someothers with a little more experiance will chime in soon.
Anyway it was good typ'in with ya.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roger that! Thanks the thoughts though. It does go good in the snow with a posi, but it is MUCH easier for the rear of the vehicle to slide around and meet the front....lol. I KNOW I don't mind driving with one on the road...I just keep hearing theories about how bad it would be to tow like that.... Just wondering if I can find someone that has done it and gives it thumbs up or thumbs down. Thanks though.
-Aaron

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Well, Here's a :bump::bump: for ya. Maybe that guy will come along soon.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Do NOT put a spool (if there is one :confused:) in the rear of your truck if you plan on towing. Or even daily driving it!

I had welded the spider gears front and rear in my jeep and it was great for the trail but SUCKED driving on the road.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
well if you want a "true posi" why don't you get some air lockers? such as a ARB manual lockers "with air", Eaton E-Locker "electronic", Auburun ECTED "electronicaly", OX Locker "cable actuated".... I'm sure there is alot more out there but that is the route I would go if I was you.. when I get another Powerstroke that is the way I'm gonna go...

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Do NOT put a spool (if there is one :confused:) in the rear of your truck if you plan on towing. Or even daily driving it!

I had welded the spider gears front and rear in my jeep and it was great for the trail but SUCKED driving on the road.
here is one spool there is actullay quit abit out there Locked up for CHEAP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts