Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ? for people with moded Trucks that tow heavy stuff. I just picked up a 25 ft 5th wheel (about 6k lbs) that I pull with my Truck mentioned in my Sig. Except that I usually reprogram it back to stock when I tow not to hurt anything. So I towed it home, all is fine. Today I moved the trailer but forgot to take the LvL 1 back out. I only go 60 mph when towing, which gives me around 2300 RPM. It seemed that in stock mode the turbo was much more involved than with the Lvl 1. However going up a hill it smokes with the Lvl 1 set quiet a bit. What I am worried about is the EGT's, I don't have a gauge (yet). Lvl 1 on the Edge is ment for towing but what do they know. Can I safely tow with that or is it better to go back to stock?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you send me a cheque for that? Just kidding. I know but right now I am pretty happy with my setup, I don't want/need to go fast, just want MPG and I am averaging 17 MPG mixed driving right now, even gotten 18.5 on straight interstate at 65 with a tailwind.

·
Shade tree mechanic
8,298 Posts
you are fine, that is what that programmer/level is for. when I had my edge evo. I pulled all the time, never hurt a thing. I would definately think aout that gauge though

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you ever have EGT issues, or how high did they usually get when towing?

·
Registered
457 Posts
You really need gauges, even stock you can get real close to max EGT. With
any chip you will exceed it. You need to make sure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Pretty high EGTS

anyone else can chime in to help ME too, but i have a pyro installed on the downpipe and i was pulling about 10,500 lbs and up the hills i was getting close to 1350 and 1400 degrees, i started driving by the pyro at that point. i was in the tow mode of the edge evolution and wondered if this sounded right myself.

I REALLY want a TW chip, does it help with the EGT's since the Evo. is a somewhat of a generic tune?

Trying to justify to my wallet about the TW.:nod:

·
Super Moderator
19,336 Posts
Check with Raul on here, he can talk to you about gauges...when you're ready.

When I towed after I got my Hypertech Power Programmer (no gauges at that point) I always wondered too. I know you can go high for a short period, but not sustained like climbing a grade. I finally broke down and got gauges. Talk about peace of mind!! Whew! Now I know where it's at. I approached 1250* on upgrades and it was easy to know when to back off slightly to bring the EGTs down a bit below that and still use the power to climb. I have an auto tranny so tranny temp was important for me too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
need some non-intercooled OBS guys to tell temps

anybody had a real problem with the temps on the nonIC OBS? Just wonderin. Wish i had an IC, but probably first big dollars i have will be for a tranny. My daily driver, just glad everyday when i don't have to throw money at it!:icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
When I tow my 25' 5er (7000 lbs) I have to drive it by the pryo. Intercooler is in the garage and when it warms up a bit it's going in. My truck is happy towing at right about 2100 rpms. If I can keep it in that area it does well. That means with my 3.55 gears I'm either at 55 mph in drive or 70 mph in OD. I use my tow program on my chip.

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
Get some gauges on that thing. Edge runs hot and kills trannys

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will get gauges eventually but I guess until then I will just tow in stock mode like I have to be safer. Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
725 Posts
anyone else can chime in to help ME too, but i have a pyro installed on the downpipe and i was pulling about 10,500 lbs and up the hills i was getting close to 1350 and 1400 degrees, i started driving by the pyro at that point. i was in the tow mode of the edge evolution and wondered if this sounded right myself.

I REALLY want a TW chip, does it help with the EGT's since the Evo. is a somewhat of a generic tune?

Trying to justify to my wallet about the TW.:nod:
WOW 1350 and 1400 post-turbo???????? :confused: Is your engine still working?. :doh: You should put the pyro PRE-TURBO and dont go more than 1250.

·
Shade tree mechanic
8,298 Posts
Did you ever have EGT issues, or how high did they usually get when towing?
I did have egt issues, but I never let it get past 1200 no matter what the case. After I towed for years with the evo. I found it wise to install an I/C... it helped a bunch.

WOW 1350 and 1400 post-turbo???????? :confused: Is your engine still working?. :doh: You should put the pyro PRE-TURBO and dont go more than 1250.
agreed, that is a very dangerous temps... even at pre-turbo. and post turbo? that is crazy!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a 35 ft fifth wheel that weighs over 16000 and ive had a few different programmers and ive never had a heating issue on the tow tunes. There usually only 30 to 40 horse tunes so i dont see why you would have any EGT problems pulling on that setting.

·
Registered
191 Posts
yeah

I did have egt issues, but I never let it get past 1200 no matter what the case. After I towed for years with the evo. I found it wise to install an I/C... it helped a bunch.

agreed, that is a very dangerous temps... even at pre-turbo. and post turbo? that is crazy!!!
Well, that's why i was asking. Knock on wood, but the truck runs great. I just put a pyro on last year, the downpipe was the easiest place to put it, i just figured i'd add a little to the temp reading as I monitored it. I've had the truck for 4 years now, evo for 3 and pyro for 1. i've pulled heavier loads and didn't have a pyro for 2 years so it kinda made me cringe when i saw the 1400reading.

I never push it to the limit, especially when towing, cause the tranny is the weak point. 236,000 and my daily driver, so i'm REALLY careful. tranny was redone at 95,000 i believe before i bought it. If the TW keeps the EGT in check, i'm be willing to get it when the cash is available.

I guess i've been lucky so far. Hope i 've got the cash to fix this thing if that ever occurs, this truck has served me well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is another good point or question, does the TW help more with the EGT's?my guess would be that not because there is no sensor on the Truck that it could get that info from unlike the newer Trucks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Your foot is what keeps the EGT in check. When you have it chipped the gauges
tell you what to do. Drive by EGT, boost, and trans temp...

If you dont have gauges then plan on some repairs if you tow with a chip.

·
Banned
207 Posts
I have an obs truck its a 97 4x4 crew shorty. I got my stg. 1 injectors and a 100 hp reflash on my PCM, and I was shocked I could geter real hot if I stood on it. Intercooler dropped my EGTs by about 200* . A chip from Tony or whom ever will be way better than a generic tuner/programmer. I had an edge evo and a super chips when I first got into this deal and let me say this a chip is the only way to go if funds allow. I have towed heavy with both programmers and when I got my flash and my stg. 1's I will say this the 100 hp flash from DP is kinda hot, I can set the cruise at 70 and it will only get to 800-900* then will jump up to 1100* making an overpass or a grade. I have all the supporting mods .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts