Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 regular cab SRW F-350, auto trans, 3.73 gears, E-rated tires, 2" receiver hitch, completely stock engine/trans, 2" leveling kit in front. I want to start picking up coal directly from the breaker in Northeastern Pennsylvania and I need to know how much I can safely haul between the bed and the trailer. Now for a little math...

Weight of truck (two people, full toolbox, full fuel tank, etc...) = 7000lbs
+
1 ton of coal inside the bed = 2000lbs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Total vehicle weight = 9000lbs

GCWR = 20,000lbs
-
TVW = 9,000lbs
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allowable trailer/cargo weight = 11,000lbs

Using that math and assuming that my trailer weighs in at 2000lbs I could haul 5 and a 1/2 tons of coal between the trailer and the bed. However, given that my truck is completely stock and the route would consist of moderate elevation changes between 400'-1200', would it be a good idea? My neighbor and I both want to go in on this, so maybe we should just split 4 tons? We would both need about 3 tons to get through the winter, so we could always go back again. It's a two hour ride though, so I wouldn't want to make a habit of it. I don't mind going once or twice, as by the time I'm picking up a load I'll be running on WVO via a Vegistroke kit. No delivery charge + no fuel cost = big $$$ saved :woot:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I actually think you'll be ok, what kind of trailer are you using? If it's a gooseneck than all the better. The main things with that load to be concerned about are overheating the brakes, and overheating the transmission. But since your truck is stock and you can't rely on the inaccurate in dash trans gauge than it's kinda crap shoot on the trans temp.

All in all I think you would be fine if you take it easy.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually think you'll be ok, what kind of trailer are you using? If it's a gooseneck than all the better.
I'd probably end up borrowing one from a buddy-he's an excavator and has all kinds of trailers laying around, but it would be a regular ball hitch-I'm not set up for a 5th wheel. More than likely it would be one of those double axle jobs you see landscaping guys hauling dirt/mulch with.

IThe main things with that load to be concerned about are overheating the brakes, and overheating the transmission. But since your truck is stock and you can't rely on the inaccurate in dash trans gauge than it's kinda crap shoot on the trans temp. All in all I think you would be fine if you take it easy.
I was planning on doing 50-55 in the right lane the whole way back...does that qualify as easy? :wink[3]:

·
Registered
164 Posts
5 ton for sure. I carried 4.5 ton in a 14 ft dump trailer and it weighed a bunch. I was 20560lbs. coming out of the pit. It was friggen heavy though. My truck loves being loaded around 17-18000lbs and get through the mountains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts