Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read most if not all of the threads about deleting the DPF & DOC but I don't recall seeing anyone talking about or report how they did with the DPF delete and towing. If anyone's done this please post the results as it relates to the following,

1. MPG while towing and please list the approx. weight you towed
2. EGT's
3. How the truck did/felt overall

Powerstroker67's pipe should be here on Monday afternoon but I just wanted to get a feel of how things are going with everything gone and towing.

Thanks,
Gerry

·
Registered
387 Posts
I should know in the next couple weeks. I'll be making 20+ two hour trips towing about 20,000 lbs. in a one week period.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I've towed with my F450 4.88gears and 36" Michelin's. I don't check MPG, sorry just doesn't matter. EGT is something I watch, with SCT extreme tune and delete pipe(mine) 10,000lbs the EGT runs between 800-1100 pre turbo. I have always towed with the higher hp tunes with any of the programming I've run. This is the highest EGT yet but still good. The terrian you tow thru makes a big difference on EGT and fuel mileage. The northeast is very hilly and that kills fuel mileage and raises EGT.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I tow with mine often....

10K toyhauler
6K boat
and various loads on 16ft utility trailers.

Tows great.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick replies and info guys!!!!

I'll be the first to admit I am looking for a little better mileage but I didn't buy the truck for it's fuel mileage I bought it to tow :). I was mostly interested on how the EGT did and how the truck handled overall while towing. I tow a 36' enclosed race car trailer that weighs between 10-11,000 lbs so I just wanted to make sure all was good. Most of my towing will be on done in the south and on fairly flat roads but we do make a trip to Bristol, TN, Norwalk, OH and Epping, NH so those those runs will be a combination of hills and flat roads. For the responses so far it sounds like I'll be fine and there isn't anything to worry about.

I won't have the pipe put on right away because A. I'm not on Matt's list yet and B. I'd like to have a few more miles on her just to make sure it won't need a trip to the dealer for the radiator..... lol. I'm making a run to Houston next week so I'll have some good before and after numbers for everyone.

Thanks again for the info,
Gerry

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Nothing to worry about bro...most specially since you bought the Dually, you will/should have an even easier time than me towing with a single wheel...however mine tows very good, no complaints at all.

·
Registered
387 Posts
After I took my exhaust my EGT's dropped by 100* just empty. It should make a hell of an improvement when towing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
egt mpg

I've read most if not all of the threads about deleting the DPF & DOC but I don't recall seeing anyone talking about or report how they did with the DPF delete and towing. If anyone's done this please post the results as it relates to the following,

1. MPG while towing and please list the approx. weight you towed
2. EGT's
3. How the truck did/felt overall

Powerstroker67's pipe should be here on Monday afternoon but I just wanted to get a feel of how things are going with everything gone and towing.

Thanks,
Gerry
f450 488 kem straight piped I get 8 mpg towing 21000 lbs
on hills I see 1400 degrees on my pyro its mounted in the exhaust manifold
this is where auto meter said too put it tows great but the egt scares me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts