Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 6.0 that has 73,000 , stock setup with exhaust only. I was pulling my new enclosed trailer to the track last night for the first time with the truck and had cruise set at 65, came to a slight incline and the truck downshifted and rpm went to about 2800 or so and almost 30lbs of boost. the truck stayed like that for a while to catch back up and about 20 seconds in the boost droped to 0 lbs and sounded like it was by passing the turbo. I turned off cruise and let off the fuel and then got back into it and all seemed normal again. I guess my question is is this normal for these trucks and is there some kind of overboost control or temp shutoff if the exhaust gases get to hot? sorry for being so long. thanks tom

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
I have a 06 6.0 that has 73,000 , stock setup with exhaust only. I was pulling my new enclosed trailer to the track last night for the first time with the truck and had cruise set at 65, came to a slight incline and the truck downshifted and rpm went to about 2800 or so and almost 30lbs of boost. the truck stayed like that for a while to catch back up and about 20 seconds in the boost droped to 0 lbs and sounded like it was by passing the turbo. I turned off cruise and let off the fuel and then got back into it and all seemed normal again. I guess my question is is this normal for these trucks and is there some kind of overboost control or temp shutoff if the exhaust gases get to hot? sorry for being so long. thanks tom
There is nothing to shut it down when the EGT's get hot unless you are running a programmer that is set to defuel at a certain temp. When you have the cruise set, that is common for it to down shift and rev higher but not sure what is causing the boost to drop from 30 to 0.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year. I have an 2006 6.0 and was towing a 20 foot flatbed, total weight estimated at 7,500 lbs. I was pulling a steep long grade in eastern Oregon, the boost read zero then shot up to 30 lbs. Come to find out the vanes in the turbo were sticking, had it fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I would have thought you popped off a boost tube but you say it acted normal afterwards. Real odd.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think it's probably just the cruise control being stupid, mine does this two when I tow which is why I dont use it anymore. I dont think the cruise is programmed to react with a load because say when your going up to a hill, The cruise is going to try to keep you at 65 so when you hit the incline its still at the same power level as flat ground, then you drastically lose speed so it floors it.

Soooo then you reach the peak of the hill and you start going over your target speed so it drastically defuels to slow you down, which is why your boost goes from 30 to 0. I dont think you have a problem, I just personally wouldnt tow in cruise.

Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
956 Posts
As it slowed down? As long as there is RPM I have boost, maybe not a lot but some specially when towing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replys, i am going to keep an eye on it and see if it keeps happening. The boost went for 30-0 in the middle of the incline not at the top of the incline. How much warrenty does this truck have? i have never looked into it. thanks tom

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
5yrs or 100k on the engine and related components

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I don't use the cruise when towing in the hills, I rarely use it when pulling a trailer at all. I think it's harder on the truck and your milage is really going to suffer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts