Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the max towing weight of powerstroke with 4.10 gears and an auto. My truck doesnt have an owners manual so I can look it up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i have pulled a 18k lb load with no problem

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
im pretty sure its a tad over 10k

·
Registered
582 Posts
Depends on how long you want that auto to last

·
Registered
776 Posts
What the Ford manual says for 1995 PSD, both Dually and Single rear tire, is max tow weight of 10K.

Now, with that being said, keep in mind that the '95 model year, is the first generation of PSD. They had put turbos on earlier models, but it was an option, not standard equipment. I always figured that it was a very conservative number, so that people wouldn't go out and try to pull Mt. Everest with it, subsequently destroying their vehicle. (though probably just killing their tranny)

I've spent a lot of time driving an '02 F350 7.3L, and it's "rated" tow capacity was 20K as per the manual if I remember correctly.

Personally, I just drove across county, and towed my 31' travel trailer the whole way. My trucks dry weight, is 9,200 lbs. My trailers dry weight is 9,100 lbs. By that alone I was hauling 18,400 lbs. (but my truck was packed to the gills, and so was the trailer. I didn't weigh in at any truck stops, but I figured I was over 20K total easy. Towed just fine, no probs at all.

mike

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i got a built tranny. I was just curious if there was a difference from a superduty or an obs. yeah the standard hitch is rated for 10000 but i have a gooseneck it can handle a bigger trailer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts