Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of spending all day searching old threads, here goes...

How heavy of a 5th wheel can I tow with my truck? I have 37" Toyo MT's and 3.73 rear-end. I am running a Spartan set on 300 (which I'll go to the 210 TP) and an S&B intake. No other mods to engine or transmission.

We are looking in the 11K-12k range for dry weight.

(I towed a larger skidsteer for a guy not to long ago with the regular hitch, and although the loader was loaded to the front real bad and had my truck sitting on the axle, it didn't enjoy pulling that load. Owner guess-timated it to be 12K lbs, so im worried about a 5th wheel at a similar weight)

·
Registered
951 Posts
I know the 6.4's have a better power delivery and more power than my 6.0, but 37's with 3.73 gears is gonna be a chore tugging a 12k dry 5th wheel, not only is it the same weight as your load you said the truck didnt like, you have that much more air to move out of the way also.

I'd say regear or run smaller tires for towing.

Jason

·
Registered
138 Posts
Subscribed

·
Super Moderator
19,737 Posts

How heavy of a 5th wheel can I tow with my truck? I have 37" Toyo MT's and 3.73 rear-end. I am running a Spartan set on 300 (which I'll go to the 210 TP) and an S&B intake. No other mods to engine or transmission.

(I towed a larger skidsteer for a guy not to long ago with the regular hitch, and although the loader was loaded to the front real bad and had my truck sitting on the axle, it didn't enjoy pulling that load. Owner guess-timated it to be 12K lbs, so im worried about a 5th wheel at a similar weight)
Let me start by saying I'm not trying to be turd when I say the following.
Please don't do what a lot of people do by looking at the dry weight of the trailer. The truth is you won't be towing dry except for when you pick it up. After that, you'll have stuff on board, (Food, clothes, dishes, Propane and other stuff you acculalate for using the trailer) Look at the GVW for the trailer. You may tow that heavy, but it should the weight to consider.

·
Registered
544 Posts

I would look to a smaller set of tires or high gears. The final gearing is going to drop a bunch and be real hard on the truck and components.

I would drop to the Lowest setting /stock power to tow for longevity and to keep EGT's within reasonable limits.

My 450 puts almost 500hp to the ground I towed a small enclosed trailer 8K# about 4200 miles this summer. My only concern was EGT and climbing some the hills out west the truck got real hot real quick. I have 4.30 with 265.70X19.5 34.5 tall. The math works out to 3.98:1 final gearing that is just 2.5 inches over stock, your 5 inches over stock. and starting with higher gears.

·
Registered
544 Posts
37in tall 3.73:1

Overall effective gearing 3.2:1

based on stock tire size of 32 inch

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 40ft toyhauler loaded down at 16k, my truck has 35" toyos and 4.3 ring gear. I tow with the spartan 210 monthly and love it, no issues.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
I would run a VERY low tune. I think towing heavy on a big tune is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much ballpark to put in lower gears? Guess I'd have to do the front and back, eh?

I am a turf equipment mechanic, and have done some gear boxes, pto's etc. I think I MIGHT be able to handle the labor. Shouldn't be incredibly difficult. Hate to sound like a 40 year old kid, but I like the way my truck looks. And my MT's are new. over 2K in them... ya know? Maybe she'll like a lighter camper! We are going to Tulsa this weekend.... The 11K lb Avalanche, might be a bit much...

thanks for all your replied... keep em coming... Still deciding on what to do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had mine done at 4wheel parts warehouse in slc both axles 1800$

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Having a tuner and other power mods still doesn't increase what you can tow. Just because someone has 700hp and 1000 ft lbs of torque doesn't mean they can tow over their truck's weight capacity. DOT doesn't care about what you can tow. They care about whether you're legal or not.

·
Registered
570 Posts

My 5th wheel weighs arount 14K, my truck has 35s w 3.73 stock transmission. I have pulled on all the tunes with it, 210 and 210TP are the best if you don't want to have to worry about watching your gauges all the time since it has the safties built in. The 300 and 310 gets a little hot pulling on steep 8% grades. As far as Spartans tunes I like the 275 the best for towing, but my favorite is the KEM 345. Just watch your gauges and tow with common sense if you use one of the higher tunes.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've been towing our goose neck horse trailer with the 210LL recently and the truck loves it. Running about 13k loaded. Tried the 210 performance, but it made the truck buck really bad. Not sure why. Have the same setup as you. 6'' with 37 Toyos. Added a Mag Hitech trans pans and the trans temps stay at about 170 running 65. Heats up a bit more running around town though. 4.10 gears would be nice.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been towing our goose neck horse trailer with the 210LL recently and the truck loves it. Running about 13k loaded. Tried the 210 performance, but it made the truck buck really bad. Not sure why. Have the same setup as you. 6'' with 37 Toyos. Added a Mag Hitech trans pans and the trans temps stay at about 170 running 65. Heats up a bit more running around town though. 4.10 gears would be nice.
without doing the math, 4.10's would put me where in relation to stock 3.73's when factoring in the 37 inch tires?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts