Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tow our 32 foot 3-horse goose-neck trailer w/living quarters with a 2000 7.3F250 Powerstroke diesel. My wife wants to trade in the F250 for a newer
F350 dually because she sees most big trailers towed with the bigger F350. Any pros or cons to this idea? Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I tow our 32 foot 3-horse goose-neck trailer w/living quarters with a 2000 7.3F250 Powerstroke diesel. My wife wants to trade in the F250 for a newer
F350 dually
because she sees most big trailers towed with the bigger F350. Any pros or cons to this idea? Thanks.
BUY THE GODDARN TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from test driving an 09 F250 XL CC LB 4x4 auto 6.4. When I got back into my 01 F250 XL SC LB 2x4 auto 7.3, I thought I was driving in molassas.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
how newer are you talking? like a 6.0 or a NEW 6.4?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You will like the stabilty of the dually over the F-250 I will assure you.

Might look for a used F-350 drive it for about 1-1 1/2 years after the 6.7 is out and by one of those as I am. My 2000 is gonna have to make it until the 6.7 is proved in the real world.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
your wife wants a bigger newer truck and your questioning it!!:dunno:
the dually will deff. be alot more stable, and a newer 6.0 or 6.4 will have more power for those big hills

·
Registered
244 Posts
MOMMA SAID NEW TRUCK!!!!!??? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!!!!

W

·
0 Posts
once you pull with a dually you will never pull with a SRW agian. this is comming from a horse person also... get the dually. they have bigger brakes and handle the load better. also what type of horse trailer is it??

·
Registered
490 Posts
the dually will deff. be alot more stable, and a newer 6.0 or 6.4 will have more power for those big hills
I am newbie with diesel truck and have a noob question to ask.

Are you saying the 6.0 or 6.4 having more tow power than the old 7.3 ?

Do know the torque spec for each engine size?
I am in the market for my first diesel ever and still am not clear on what to go with.

W

·
0 Posts
if you can afford it then get the 6.4L heard nothing but great things about them. the 7.3L is dependable but not fast. the 6.0L if you are gonna tow alot needs to have some work done to make it reliable also, as in head studs and egr delete.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
if you can afford it then get the 6.4L heard nothing but great things about them. the 7.3L is dependable but not fast. the 6.0L if you are gonna tow alot needs to have some work done to make it reliable also, as in head studs and egr delete.
I've put 96,000 miles on my '06 dually and haven't had any problems and it's stock and I'm pulling a 48ft car trailer grossing nearly 26,000 lbs.

·
Registered
572 Posts
save you money up for the 6.7 powerstroke. supposedly, they are pretty awesome. doubt they are cheap though...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've put 96,000 miles on my '06 dually and haven't had any problems and it's stock and I'm pulling a 48ft car trailer grossing nearly 26,000 lbs.
I agree, not all 6.0's are bad. The 06-07's especially seem to have most of the bugs worked out. I've got an 06 F-250 that I use for work. Between contractor cap, tool-boxes, tools and material, it runs a little over 9k on a daily basis, plus I tow around 8k at least a few times a month. Mine has 60k miles on it and runs great (knock wood). I run Spartan's ASE tune as a daily driver and a tow tune from Mike at 5-star Tuning when I'm pulling.

Jim

·
Registered
490 Posts
Guys, I need your advices on this one really quick. I found this truck and here is the description.

7.3 F250 Lariat. 99,000 original miles, immaculately maintained. Truck has a 2006 grill with billet insert. Has new XD Spy rims and Nitto Dura Grappler tires. Smoked cab lights and a newer body style grill with Billet. 4 position TS chip (High idle, 50,75,100), 4 in Stainless magnaflow exhaust, ATS turbo housing, AFE intake, Gauges on pillar. We also replaced all of the bushings with neoprene and added KYB monomax shocks including the stabilizer. All installed by Brad Webster of Houston Area Powerstrokes. The truck also has a B&W turnoverball and a Tekonsha prodigy brake controller. I just had the A/C clutch reconditioned, rear brakes rebuilt and the transmission flushed.

How much do you think I should offer for it?

Second question: I have never bought a vehicle second-handedly and the bank still holds the vehicle title. Is it safe to pay off the bank, take custody of the vehicle and wait for the title to come from the bank? My concern here is that once the bank get the full payment, I would be at their mercy with respect to title delivery.
How would you legally handle the transaction to ensure that you would not come out holding the short end of the stick?

Thanks

·
Registered
490 Posts
Dang,....no one gave me any advice....:dunno:

I did not buy this particular one but did buy another one, which was a much better deal.

·
Registered
490 Posts
A year 2000 F250 with only 120K miles and in immaculate condition with an extra set of nice 20" tires and chrome rims. It is plain stock and the owner is an older gentleman, not a young hot rodder. It was not wired for a hitch, so, I am happy to know it had never been used to tow anything.

I am quite sure the guy with the highly customized 2002 truck, with 99K miles was a crook. He tried to get me to send the full payment to someone, supposedly a bank loan officer, in San Antonio (I am in Houston and so is he) and waited for the title to come before he physically delivered the truck to me. He claimed he did not have time (he said he was a high school teacher) to go to San Antonio with me to sign the paper, pay off the loan and deliver the truck at time of fund disbursement.

I backed out of that deal and made it clear that cash transaction and truck delivery had to occur simultaneously....no what but if about that. Despite of the 16K offer, which was way below market value especially with all the custom work done on it and its immaculate condition, he was all mad and cursed me out for what he deemed as breaching a contract (no contract was ever signed !)......yup, he was supposedly a school teacher.

I wonder how many people fell victim to that scammer.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Glad you stood your ground and did not cough up money to that guy without a title
Good to hear that you got something nice

1 - 20 of 20 Posts