Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 F-350 cc srw 6.0 has cold air intake and 4" turbo back exhaust. It currently has the stock Ford tune. Yesterday towing my 7000 lb. trailer over the altamont (medium hills) the c.e.l. wrench appeared on the instrument cluster. I pulled over and turned the truck off before I hooked up my sct tuner to check for codes. No codes stored and pulled fine for another 100 miles then wrench came back and cut power. Egt not getting over 1100 f. Any ideas? Once truck is turned off, it clears light and goes back to normal.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It would probably be best to try a different scan tool to pull the codes or see if your local dealership can check the codes for you. It could be a lot of different things, oil cooler efficiency, turbo under / over boost, etc. and the path to repair would be different.

Do you have a way to monitor boost, coolant & oil temperatures?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have gauges for boost, Egt, and tranny temp, but not coolant or oil temp. Boost isn't getting above 26-27 lbs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I towed my trailer home from the coast today and had the same issue once. I payed a little closer attention to the boost gauge this time and the boost got to 30 psi and the c.e.l. came on immediately and cut power. Does this mean there is something wrong with the VGT because it's not bleeding the excess pressure off? I've heard that unlike the duramax turbo, ours don't have the teflon ring that prevents sticking. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Well, I towed my trailer home from the coast today and had the same issue once. I payed a little closer attention to the boost gauge this time and the boost got to 30 psi and the c.e.l. came on immediately and cut power. Does this mean there is something wrong with the VGT because it's not bleeding the excess pressure off? I've heard that unlike the duramax turbo, ours don't have the teflon ring that prevents sticking. Anybody have any ideas?
Ford has come out with an updated unison ring that has a coating on it. Usually though, a sticking unison ring will cause low or no boost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts