Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to tune my FICM and get custom tunes from one of the people you all have raved about but I was wondering which FICM tune would work best on a 05 250 that tows RARELY but still tows. I dont want to run a tune combo that I cant tow with, but i do want all the power i can get out of my truck. Any experience???

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
To start we'll need to know a couple of things:

-Is the truck Studded?
-How heavy are you needing to be able to tow?
-Other modifications to your truck?

There are a few options out there, but I'd like a baseline of your truck and expectations first.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok the truck has:

Studs
New OEM Head gaskets
New oil cooler
Blue spring
CFM Largemouth intake
Coolant filter
ELC coolant
4" straight pipe
HPOP STC
Zoodad
Also Edge CTS (monitor only) with EGT

When I do tow it is only a toolbox or a couple of 4 wheelers and deer corn or a VW bug on a trailer. Nothing too heavy, and not very often but i do want to be able to use my truck as a truck when I am not "playing" in it.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
I would do the 80 then if I was in your place as your studded:thumb:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats is what i want to do but i was concerned about running high egts when towing. Does anyone think that would be an issue or should i be fine?

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
It hasnt really been tried, but It has been ON MY MIND for about 3-4 months now...

I have the exact same scenario as you except im not studded.
I remember talking to Bill and even though he doesn't recommend it, we "kinda" decided that towing up to/ around 10k max will work ok.:thumb:

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Ok the truck has:

Studs
New OEM Head gaskets
New oil cooler
Blue spring
CFM Largemouth intake
Coolant filter
ELC coolant
4" straight pipe
HPOP STC
Zoodad
Also Edge CTS (monitor only) with EGT

When I do tow it is only a toolbox or a couple of 4 wheelers and deer corn or a VW bug on a trailer. Nothing too heavy, and not very often but i do want to be able to use my truck as a truck when I am not "playing" in it.
thats is what i want to do but i was concerned about running high egts when towing. Does anyone think that would be an issue or should i be fine?
So do you have an SCT or other tuner?

First step I'd take in electronic programming is the SCT X3 or SF3 with custom files (Performance, Street, and Tow package from any of the big name turners). Before doing a flash to the FICM. Reason for this is the FICM tuning won't apply any changes to the transmission, and +80HP is a lot of power to be adding without it. You could have the custom performance and street tunes to DD and Play with, and then have a tow file for the job.

You aren't talking huge loads, so most street level files will provide more useable and reliable power at this point than any FICM tune for the job.

When you add FICM tuning to it, I'd stay with the Atlas 80 or 40, depending on the load. You may see issues on the larger grades, at altitude with the Atlas80 but you don't have a lot of weight with what you are talking about.

Another point here, once you apply the FICM file to the SCT you are only going to add 20-30RWHP regardless of file used, and the lower FICM tunes are matching better with SCT files with stock turbo and injectors. So, I would say just run the Atlas40 with your SCT, unless you go with PHPs tuner and maintain the ability to switch files (as you will have 4 options, plus stock on hand).

Any questions let us know.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I will talk to them and see what they have to say about it

·
Registered
11 Posts
When towing(lighter loads 4-6k) with the Atlas 80 i get pretty hot pretty quick, but i dont like to get much over 1200-1250 EGT. I also have a manual trans, stock head bolts and i am at over 5000 feet elevation. I would highly reccomend the programer, then you can switch back and forth at will. If you had a manual trans, no other mods(ie injectors, turbo) I would reccomend a FICM tuner before the SCT, but where you have the auto, I would get a SCT with custom tunes, and then get either the atlas 40(just in case you tow heavy) or the FICM tuner.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW ok thanks that is exactly the kind of info i was wondering about. I was going to go with FICM tuning first then the SCT but after hearing that I will look into doing it the other way

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do, thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Wow I totally missed that you are not tuned:doh:

I guess I figure if I'm tuned, everyone else must be lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help! Now, if I could just get "The Boss" to leave the checkbook Laying around I will have them both!!:roll1:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Atlas 40 is a good all around file combo'd with vivian's looney tune...

Atlas 80 was running hotter then i like towing so when i do i drop down to atlas 40.

i'm not studded.. but i monitor EGT's big time boost wasent the issue.. heat was lol and u give it some throttle on a climb.. those EGT's shoot up with a quickness
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
If anyone is interested. I have my PHP FICM tuner forsale in the classifieds section. It just doesn't do what I was hoping it would with my 190/100 injectors. Only plugged into the truck like 5 times. The thing looks brand new, comes with all of the cables, CD, and instructions for $325. PM me if interested. Sorry for the derail.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts