Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently purchased a 2000 Super Duty with an installed Hydra chip, the seller said the tunes installed are as follows:
1. + 65 hp daily
2. +65 hp tow
3. +80 hp daily
4. +80 tow
5. Whisper
6. 100 hp performance
7. 120 hp extreme
8. No start
Last week I rented a U-haul auto transport and towed my son’s 1986 single cab f-150 from Houston to N Dakota. Previous owner said he pretty much stayed on #3 for everyday so I started on #4. With overdrive off I averaged about 8 mpg at 65 – 70 mph, rpm’s were about 2750 and boost pretty much stayed 5-10 lbs. I then tried #2 with no significant change. On slight grades my boost would reach 15 lbs. I sure wanted to turn my overdrive back on to reduce rpms!!! On the way home without the trailer I stayed on #3 and averaged around 13.5 mpg at 1750 – 2000 rpms and 0-5lbs boost and of course overdrive turned on. My son who has a 2008 Dodge Cummins said I should have towed with overdrive while on the highway (not city).
I have no idea who did the tunes and if they accounted for the 33 tires. Do the above #’s sound reasonable? Should I consider retuning so I’ll know for sure it matches my truck?
Thanks

·
Administrator
21,724 Posts
I doubt there is much difference between 1-4.

Those numbers seem pretty reasonable, considering we do not know the weight or condition of the uhaul we cannot account for that drag.

We tow with tow/haul on because its keeps the boost and trans pressures up, RPMs are good if temps stay down.

·
Registered
72 Posts
On those you should let the trans do it job with the tow on, I only shut it off if it keeps searching for a gear. Here we have mountains and I leave it in tow even climbing passes with my 5th wheel trailer can maintain 60- 65 pretty easy. Getting around 10 MPG .

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
You don't need to tow with the overdrive off unless your going up hills and it keeps shifting back and forth.

Reactions: MrTommy and jasgeer

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
i have always towed with od on

Reactions: jasgeer

·
Registered
240 Posts
On those you should let the trans do it job with the tow on, I only shut it off if it keeps searching for a gear. Here we have mountains and I leave it in tow even climbing passes with my 5th wheel trailer can maintain 60- 65 pretty easy. Getting around 10 MPG .
I do this also - and I also have tried it with the chip in stock mode. Our trailer is about 6,500 lbs and I can get 10 to 12 mpg if I stay at 2,200 rpm or below. I believe rpm is more important to mileage then speed. with around 1,900 rpm seeming to be the best for mileage.

Our truck also has a Gale Banks converter pushing the 4r100 along with a Banks trans commend module.

Reactions: jasgeer

·
Registered
474 Posts
my 250 with stock everything, I find if I'm much below 2000 rpm it probably won't hold the speed on a even mild up grade when towing my 4500 lb trailer, another 1000 lbs of stuff in the back of the truck. if I'm doing 2000-2200 rpm, it will typically hold the speed while staying in 4th/OD on any but a steep grade. if the grade looks steep, i"ll manually drop the OD just before hitting the start of the grade, that way the TC stays locked up (if the OD drops itself while you're on the throttle, the TC probably won't lock up again unless you let off on the throttle, something you're not going to want to do while maintaining speed up a grade).

re: gears and TC lockup, I used Torque Pro to monitor things for the first few multi-day long runs but now I have the feel for it, so really no need anymore, I can tell what its doing by how it sounds, what the tach and speedo says.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the feedback, very good information!! Everything else on the 1500 mile haul worked great, never came close to overheating and egt stayed 600-800 which from what I hear is good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Strictly FYI, I recently completed a 9000 mile vacation with our 28 ft travel trailer (bumper pull). The trailer adds ~7000 lbs to the truck so we are going down the road with ~7 tons. With the trailer and Diablo tuner set to the lowest position (I think they claim +50HP) I consistently get 11 mpg. In Idaho it dropped to 10.5 trying to keep up with the semitrucks on I84 . I always tow in OD unless I come to a long grade where I force a downshift and drop my speed. Without the trailer I got 15 +/-1 mpg. I passed 200,000 in Twin Falls, the first time I had to get an oil change while on vacation!

Reactions: ToyMan

·
Vendor
12,884 Posts
A 7.3L really does well towing with engine rpms around 2100 and above. No need to have OD off if you are maintaining speed to be in the 2100-2300rpm range. EGT's are usually very manageable unless you are towing well over 10k. If you have 3:73 gears and not very large tires, you will be fine in OD traveling at interstate speeds. If you are traveling at normal state highway speeds and towing, then you may need to shut off OD, especially if you are going up and down small hills.

Go through the driveline and brakes to be sure everything is free spinning as lots of little things added up will cause poor mpgs, like a slightly hanging caliper, old in the diff's that have never been changed, 4x4 hubs always locked in even though you are in 2wd, bad EBP sensor, worn down turbo compressor wheel, dirty air filter, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A 7.3L really does well towing with engine rpms around 2100 and above. No need to have OD off if you are maintaining speed to be in the 2100-2300rpm range. EGT's are usually very manageable unless you are towing well over 10k. If you have 3:73 gears and not very large tires, you will be fine in OD traveling at interstate speeds. If you are traveling at normal state highway speeds and towing, then you may need to shut off OD, especially if you are going up and down small hills.

Go through the driveline and brakes to be sure everything is free spinning as lots of little things added up will cause poor mpgs, like a slightly hanging caliper, old in the diff's that have never been changed, 4x4 hubs always locked in even though you are in 2wd, bad EBP sensor, worn down turbo compressor wheel, dirty air filter, etc. etc. etc.
I will check these, thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts