Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Yep, really good article.

I discovered this little issue when renting a Uhaul a while back. Fella behind the counter asked my towing capacity, I stated 15K. He called up the database, and we checked the hitch, and I had 8K for weight carrying. Its simple things like this that get folks sued all the time. And why all the "Tow capacity," and "Do I need a CDL" threads are never as black-and-white as some folks would like to believe.

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Yep, really good article.

I discovered this little issue when renting a Uhaul a while back. Fella behind the counter asked my towing capacity, I stated 15K. He called up the database, and we checked the hitch, and I had 8K for weight carrying. Its simple things like this that get folks sued all the time. And why all the "Tow capacity," and "Do I need a CDL" threads are never as black-and-white as some folks would like to believe.
On that nore most of the U Haul guys are idiots.

I rented a 6x12 a couple years ago. The guy told me I couldnt rent it with my F250. I had to come back with a suburban.

After I spent 20 minutes explaining I have literally double the tow rating of the surburban he finally figured it out.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts

I rented a 6x12 a couple years ago. The guy told me I couldnt rent it with my F250. I had to come back with a suburban.

After I spent 20 minutes explaining I have literally double the tow rating of the surburban he finally figured it out.
:hehe::hehe:

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts

I crossed one of the guys who actually knew what he was talking about. But I agree most are idiots. Picked up a car hauler a few months back, for a Ranger, and the straps had be cut way to short.

·
Govy Magnet
718 Posts
That is a good article! Austin G, I am fairly sure they do not make mention of gooseneck towing, because the majority of towing is done from the bumper. They are just marketing their time towards the majority :dunno:

~Phil

·
Registered
611 Posts
damn thats shocking...

i couldnt see only ever pulling 6000lbs with our dually 06 F350.. hell ive had 6200lbs in just the back bed before and seen guys with well more than that.. begins to get unsafe...

Either way, if you need all that special equipment to pull 14k dump trailers and 10-12k enclosed trailers, it just gets rediculous.

I see SUvs and jeep liberties pulling 5-6k travel trailers and boats! my eyes usually pop out of my head!

I've never felt "unsafe" pulling our dump trailer at 14k weight with the dually f350 or SRW f350, yet i wouldnt feel as comfortable with a shortbed ext cab pulling a long trailer since the wheelbase is shorter than our normal 158" trucks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
good article ! would be great if someone could find one similar in regards to fifth-wheel and gooseneck set ups though, I for one don't do much receiver hitch towing anymore

·
Registered
853 Posts
All of these weight ratings are avaiable on the fleet.ford website find towing guides then pick your year and then the type of towing you do.
GN/5th wheel was 20k total combined weight of truck and trailer on an '03

·
Registered
910 Posts
Good read. Another thing that I dont understand is why the truck manufacturers are in this war to tout the highest towing cap and now the numbers that they are putting on these trucks will put you into a cdl required classification if your not careful and know your trailers rating. My equip trailer is rated for 14k, if it were hooked to some of these new trucks you would have to have a cdl because you would total over 26k. And it doesnt matter if the trailer is empty or loaded, its all based on what the truck and trailer are RATED for, you will be cited and have to call someone with cdl to drive your truck home or have it impounded even with a empty trailer, just ask 2 of my friends and they can even tell you how much the fine costs after my dad took their trucks and trailers home. Some people buy these trucks to work and by honest ignorance get in big trouble.

·
Registered
853 Posts
well, for me as a farmer I am exempt from the CDL requirement within 150 miles of home. So I can use the large towing capacity without the CDL.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

I will 2nd this... some of those guys are total idiots.
I was trying to rent a car hauler to tow an expedition behind my F350. Guy said it wouldnt work. I even layed out all the weights/GCWR/etc of the exped, car dolly limits, truck limits etc and they still wouldnt rent me the dang dolly....ugh!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I know in my state, if you are towing a trailer that weighs 12K pounds or more a Class A CDL is required for anything other than personal use. All personal RV's are excluded from this. You can pull your 5th wheel with a Peterbuilt here and it is ok. I am not sure on farmers anymore. They used to have a radius (150 miles or so), but the state may have changed that a few years back.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know in my state, if you are towing a trailer that weighs 12K pounds or more a Class A CDL is required for anything other than personal use.
That is not true.

It would be true if the CGVWR of the truck AND trailer is over 26k.

But 12k trailer alone does not require a class A or any other CDL.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That is not true.

You are partly right. The weight restriction is for a trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. not 12,000 lbs. as I had earlier stated. Again this only affects what could be considered commercial not your RV. And where you are wrong is any commercial vehicle weighing over 26,000 lbs requires at a minimum a Class B CDL. CGVWR is not that relevant unless you are exceeding what your vehicle is rated for. What matters and determines your licensing requirements is the trailer weight. Agriculture gets to play by a different set of rules but there is no need to get in to that. Sorry for misquoting the weight Spudman, but you don't have a clue when it comes to WY DOT laws and that was specifically what I referenced.

http://www.dot.state.wy.us/wydot/driver_license_records/new_licenses/classification_guide-Wyoming DOT

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Don't you worry about it
2017 F250
8,336 Posts
my father in law will tow anything with anything and not think twice about it. He once towed our 24' Mastercraft X30 on a tandem axle trailer to the lake with a 1994 standard cab ford ranger.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That is not true.

it is TRUE.. NJ of all states is like that, but its 10k not 12k.

Our own town where the business operates from, has ONE undercover blue crown vic... for the township, ALL the cop does is pull over commercial vehicles.. what a pita..

He pulled me over one day pulling our 14k GVW 32' gooseneck trailer because i had a 5900lbs F250 on it i was taking from our shop to the mechanic on a main road... i think he pulled me over because one strap was lose and caught his eye, but i had to disconnect the trailer at a gas station down the street, pay them $60 overnight to leave it, pay a CDL dump truck driver in our local town to drive our F350 to tow it out of there the next day.

Somehow, although we've owned the trailer since 2009, it wasn't registered, ticket 1, non-cdl license, ticket 2, failure to produce insurance card/documents, ticket 3 - had old one, although truck and trailer had insurance.

Three tickets with costs of $100+ each, were plead to about $86 in court costs a week later.

I see him stopping small pickups to big stuff all the time, mainly lawn/landscape guys and car transport companies with one vehicle or 6 on a big trailer.

He said it didn't matter that my gcwr wasnt anywhere near 26k, he said the trailer says 14k and anything 10,000 or more requires a CDL...

We have enclosed trailers with 10k or more gvw, a dump trailer and two equipment trailers that are 14k

The dually F350 pulling it weighs 8200~lbs plus trailer of 5100 plus truck on trailer 5900 = 19,200lbs total.

Ever wonder why SO MANY f450s are sold and not F550s?

GCWR of F450 + 7k gvw open landscape trailer or enclosed lawn trailer is less than 26k.

17,900 or 19,500 GVW F550 plus 7k trailer , well the F550 with 4.56gears/17,900 is fine, 19,500 with 4.88 gears is over , requiring CDL already.... doesnt matter if truck and trailer are dead empty weighing under 13/14k total gross.

Basically every F550 with a landscape trailer "most are 10k" for business use anyway", the drivers should have a CDL in many states.

I know its stupid, i still don't have mine, went and passed all the tests months ago, then waited two months scheduled for the driver test only to find out that because i took the written with air brakes endorsement, that i need to drive an air brake equipped truck for the test... we don't own one.

Ive driven trucks and trailers "not big rigs" since i was 19 years old, 31 now, and pull a variety of stuff, have been there done that with every aspect of loading properly, safely binding everything down, double checking load and trailer before transport etc... none of that matters to them. Yet its ok for your neighbors kid thats 18 to pull 6 horses down the road with a 40k gcvw combo with a 35' trailer and a small freightliner :/ Same goes for guys with 09 F450 crew cabs and 40' race trailers with two cars weighing over 26k..

·
Registered
270 Posts
You are partly right. The weight restriction is for a trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. not 12,000 lbs. as I had earlier stated. Again this only affects what could be considered commercial not your RV. And where you are wrong is any commercial vehicle weighing over 26,000 lbs requires at a minimum a Class B CDL. CGVWR is not that relevant unless you are exceeding what your vehicle is rated for. What matters and determines your licensing requirements is the trailer weight. Agriculture gets to play by a different set of rules but there is no need to get in to that. Sorry for misquoting the weight Spudman, but you don't have a clue when it comes to WY DOT laws and that was specifically what I referenced.

Classification Guide-Wyoming DOT

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Apparently you don't have a clue.

The 10k trailer doesn't come into paly until the CGVWR (Truck GVWR + Trailer GVWR) exceeds 26k.

So even if you meant 10k instead of 12k your previous statement is still incorrect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts