Just a thought...my current settings are:
0-stock
1-stock
2-hi idle
3-60hp tow
4-80 econo highway
5-80 econo city
6-120 race

...#3 seems to be weaker than my EVO II and was wondering if towing could be done in one of the Econo modes...disaster waiting to happen or pretty safe thing to do:dunno:

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Do you have gauges??? If not I would get them and watch your pyrometer. I know my 80E smokes like crazy, I am about to send mine back and have it re tuned. I wouldn't tow with my truck in the 80E.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you tow in the 80E you better have a transmission guage mine will get hot but I also pull 16k with my truck. I guess it depends on how much you are towing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am using the EVO II (see sig) for my gauges. It has a TFT gauge that I always keep an eye on as well as the pyro. I always get a fair share of smoke in any tube until the TN BB turbo lights up and then nothing or very little. Thanks for the input so far guys. I may try it on level ground or slight incline to see how it will do. Just need a little more grunt when towing but dont want to junk anything.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
The biggest part of the economy tune is the timing. It is advanced to get better economy. I would talk to Jody to find out how he set up your tune. He did tell me originally not to tow in 80E. Since then we have made some changes and it is Ok for me to use 80E for towing. Towing in 80E is my best tow tune except when accellerating, it shifts extremely hard but then again, I had him set it up that way so for merging onto the freeways or accellerating I use my 60T(it dynoed 350hp/750tq).

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
I forgot to switch mine to 60 tow and pulled my 9K TT with the 80 econo and it did fine, only on one steep grade did I have to back out of the skinny pedal because the EGT's were getting up there. The EGT's do climb faster, but as long as they stay in check no problem. There are lots of folks that use the 80 econo tune for towing with no problems. When I talked to Jody he said it all depended on weight, if your EGT's are inline than no problem. I still prefer the shift pattern of the 60 tow but it is good to know I can use both. If you have any doubts call Jody.

NCH

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, I will give him a call here shortly....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts