Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering a 5er that weighs 12000lbs'
My 99 7.3 is stock.Will she tow & go.
I could bump it up with the mods discussed in hear,but at the expence of fuel costs.It may be a good day to stay stock. What do you think,will she take a steep grade? Woundering what the hp is ,if anyone knows.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
you wont know shes back there, I have tow 20k plus and I towed it on a edge evo on level 1, it towed the load fine

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have a 14,000 Lb 5er and my truck did a great job stock. The only real advise I would give is,
Get Gauges, they saved me from being stranded when my tranny was about to dump on me.

I would also upgrade the exhaust, to keep the temps down, I can easily hit 1,500* while towing. And I didn't have gauges for the first year I had the truck.:yikes:

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
the truck can handle it. i would be worried the most about the tranny. get gauges ASAP and put in a tranny cooler. keep an eye on the tranny temp/EGT's while driving. other than that, just keep an eye on your speed.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
She should handle that trailer very well with a good brake controller, I like my Prodigy P3, it was about $100 new on eBay.
If it is an auto then I highly recommend adding an extra tranny cooler, something like the Trucool 40 k for $120.
Gauges are also very nice to have but a stock truck needs a tranny temp gauge, full set is about $300.
Doing the DIY air filter and opening the exhaust may help mileage and keep the engine happier, should cost around $100 to do that.

After all that stuff which is good for a stock truck then it is only about a $350 step-up to get a good custom chip with tunes for towing and economy.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
you wont know shes back there, I have tow 20k plus and I towed it on a edge evo on level 1, it towed the load fine
I wouldn't say THAT... I've towed a GCVW of almost 18k and I certainly knew it was back there. I had little problem maintaining 65 mph with a chip though.

Get a good brake controller.

As far as SAFETY and FUEL ECONOMY goes... the same basic mods for "go fast" work for those too... get a tow tune, gauges, intake and straight pipe the exhaust...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
towing

Awesome everyone:thumb:
Im going to go for it.This 5er is a HP 36ft.The scales say 12000 the title says 10000.Everything has been that way.I'll find a tranny gauge and cooler.This truck has a cooler,but I see the difference.I was woundering.Ford s tranny.Whats up.The chevy 79 silverado has a small trany cooler and I drove over 500k miles towing a 13000 tag a long.Oh ya ,I did change the trany filer once in 1999.I've had it since 1984.
The ford is the replacement. I hear good things about it s capabilities,just never tryed yet.
Thanks again all,it does make a difference. :thumb:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Towing

Oh yah.The reason I asked is because I want to take the 5er to the Carolinas.I love the BLUE RIDGE hwy. in the smokies.:hehe:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
A simple 4" turboback exhaust and DIY intake will be good for towing and not kill your mileage. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Oh yah.The reason I asked is because I want to take the 5er to the Carolinas.I love the BLUE RIDGE hwy. in the smokies.:hehe:
I love that area too. A year or two ago I towed my camper to Helen Georgia then up to Cherokee and over the Smokies to Gatlinburg. Truck pulled it great but the tranny tried to get a little warm until I removed the front tag that was covering most of my extra cooler.

The extra 40K cooler was plumbed in series with the factory 20K cooler and mounted to the back of my front bumper. There is no way I would have made it with only the factory cooler and my old high mileage tranny.

I think the problem with Fords auto is the awesome torque of the Powerstroke is too much for it.

In July 03 when I first bought my truck it was stock with 130k on it, a week later I towed my 28’ 8,000# camper to the Smokies. I didn’t have a tranny temp gauge or know anything about these trucks then. I badly overheated the tranny and got lucky that I made it home. Apparently she got so hot that she sifted out of overdrive several times and I had to play with the OD button to get her to go back in. When I got home the fluid was dark and smelt burnt.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
towing

That area is cool,to bad I cant aford to live there:hehe:
So I can run the coolers in series,ok.
I was looking for a 32 ft,but this one has 3 slides and is 36ft @12000.Definitely going p3.
It still freeks me out .I white nuckeled it for yr's with the chevy.12000lb and straight up .Man I use to hold my breath till I got to the top.Then held on going down.:hehe:
I hope those days are over .This fords got ta do better.:icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
With my truck I can lay back and enjoy the ride, sometimes I almost forget my 8000# camper is even back there. I can run 80 mph on the Interstate with no problem and pass folks like I’m in a sports car. I pulled a tractor home from Arkansas on a 25’ GN flat bed, total weight truck and all was about 22,000# and I could run 75mph and pass with no problems, felt great. It stopped better than the empty truck with the dual tandem axle trailer with brakes on all 4.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts