Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the PSD's are good towers from the factory, but I'd like to fine tune my rig for pulling my 26' Prowler Travle trailer. Here is what im thinking, S&B intake, ATS Housing + WW, 6.0 Intercooler (My truck's intercooler has plastic tanks on the IC already, is this a 6.0 IC?) 4" exhaust, Diesel Innovations High Pressure Oil Rail Crossover kit and a mild tuner tunes for towing (not sure about this ojne, I need a little info as to which iss best on this too), Boost, EGT, Trans temp and Eng Oil temps on the pillar and lastly a upgraded valve body and tranny cooler for the auto trans. Am I missing anything?:dunno::icon_ford:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sounds good to me!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
A stock 7.3 will pull a 26ft trailer just fine. It kinda seems unreasonable to get all of those mods to pull that size of trailer. I would go with gauges, exhaust, intake, and maybe another tranny cooler. My expirences with tuners is that the truck will use more fuel on the tow setting than if it was on stock.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
thats not true, if you get yourself a good tow tune it will be more efficent. i gained 2mpgs.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I would say that you are on the road to a good build. Around late 2000,IIRC, ford changed the intercooler to plastic end tanks. So you probably have a stock intercooler. You can check and see if there is one tube boot that is about 8" long, if so it is a 6.0. If they are both stock with three metal rings on it, it is stock.

I would get the HPOX from ITP, DI copied it from Dennis so I try to steer guys from the DI unit. You will not see a real performance gain with it but it makes it idle a little better and the low end responds well to it, in my truck at least.

The best tow tunes out there I have run are DP Tuner. I tow a 32' trailer(single slide out). The trailer weighs 9988lb on the axles and who knows how much the tongue weight is but it squats my truck.

With the DP tuner chip, you can get a tune that turns you EBPV into an exhaust brake along with TC lockup built in. Yes folks, built into your chip from DP tuner. What a great thing for towing.

A John Wood valve body is what I recommend as Jody(DP Tuner) and John work closely to get the two parts to work in harmony. Plus John is a top notch trans builder, the best I dare say.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
A stock 7.3 will pull a 26ft trailer just fine. It kinda seems unreasonable to get all of those mods to pull that size of trailer. I would go with gauges, exhaust, intake, and maybe another tranny cooler. My expirences with tuners is that the truck will use more fuel on the tow setting than if it was on stock.
Tuners = generic junk. I agree, you will loose fuel economy.

Custom Tunes = good stuff Maynard! I don't even know what I gained in economy from stock but I gained 1mpg going from BD tow boss chip to DP Tuner. Mind you that was going from stock to 100% over stock fuel injectors when I changed the chip.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i know i've gained some thing going from hypermax 330hp and six gun to a dp tuner b/c its been a long time since i've had this many miles on half a tank. and i've been running it hard testing out the new tuner

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I sure as heck hope it runs better, that is only a 80hp chip. And an old school chip at that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Tony Wildman & Jon Faubion helped me upgrade my 7.3L with the focus on towing our 32' 5th wheel better. Tony's (www.totaldieselperformance.com) tow programs have worked excellent for me. I can easily tow our 5th wheel up grades without EGT's getting too high and the slowing the rig down is much more effective than the stock setup. Plus when you want or need new programs Tony's reburns are free.

I have the DI intercooler and it dropped the EGT's a good 200 degrees while towing but it also cost $. The 6.0 intercooler will help drop EGT's also, not as much as the DI or Spearco but for the price it is well worth it. Check with Jon in Chichasha to see if he has any.

Guages are a must before any upgrades in my opinion. EGT, Boost & Tranny temp. For the tranny the cooler upgrade and the valve body are great also. Again, check with Jon in Chickasha, he might be able to get you some of the items at a very good price.

Definitley go with the exhaust upgrade and air intake. The 6637 TYMAR, Ford AIS, and the AFE systems have shown excellent results on used oil analysis test. I'm not sure about the others. I have used the AIS and the 6637. They both have kept silicon levels around 6-7.

The ATS housing is a good idea ans so is the WW, but you don't need to do the WW and the ATS housing together. You might want to consider the van turbo as an upgrade also, it works well for my tow setup.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, time for death by questioning.
1. Who is Jon in chicasha?
2. What is a DI intercooler?
3. As far as exhaust, will a 4" do the trick or should I go 5"?
4. Intake wise, I was looking into the AIS, but it says not to use it was a modded motor, so now im thinking AFE though i'll have to rent out my child to china to afford it, might make my own hybred Tymar along the lines of a AFE Stage 2.
5. why is the AFE and WW a bad idea? Just like Hand Granades, if one is good, two is better is it not?
6. I have been looking at the Garrett GTP38R as opposed to the AFE/WW set up
7. Lastly, would a turbo timer be good to aid in cool down of the turbo?

:icon_ford:

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
1. Who is Jon in chicasha?John Faubion
2. What is a DI intercooler? Diesel Innovations Intercooler, big money
3. As far as exhaust, will a 4" do the trick or should I go 5"?4" is just fine
4. Intake wise, I was looking into the AIS, but it says not to use it was a modded motor, so now im thinking AFE though i'll have to rent out my child to china to afford it, might make my own hybred Tymar along the lines of a AFE Stage 2.The AIS filters the best and is good up to 400hp
5. why is the ATS and WW a bad idea? Just like Hand Granades, if one is good, two is better is it not? They are not a bad idea, a WW is not necessary with the ATS housing but for $75 for the WW, some say it is good insurance
6. I have been looking at the Garrett GTP38R as opposed to the ATS/WW set up
7. Lastly, would a turbo timer be good to aid in cool down of the turbo?Only if you don't have 3 minutes to let things cool down and want to walk away from your truck with it running

The list from buffalo is very extensive and he does tow quite a bit. I have seen him online for the last few years. He took his tow build to the extreme :thumb:

·
Registered
411 Posts
1. Who is Jon in chicasha?
2. What is a DI intercooler?
3. As far as exhaust, will a 4" do the trick or should I go 5"?
4. Intake wise, I was looking into the AIS, but it says not to use it was a modded motor, so now im thinking AFE though i'll have to rent out my child to china to afford it, might make my own hybred Tymar along the lines of a AFE Stage 2.
5. why is the AFE and WW a bad idea? Just like Hand Granades, if one is good, two is better is it not?
6. I have been looking at the Garrett GTP38R as opposed to the AFE/WW set up
7. Lastly, would a turbo timer be good to aid in cool down of the turbo?

You should stay at a 4" exhaust, you will gain nothing more by going to a 5". The Ford Severe duty AIS is a great intake and probably a little cheaper than the AFE..

The ATS housing AND WW both basically are products developed to help with surging in a stock turbo.. You really only need one or the other. If you have the funds, a Garrett GTP38R ball bearing turbo would be the best and you can build around it later (such as injectors or whatever).

·
Registered
366 Posts
The list from buffalo is very extensive and he does tow quite a bit. I have seen him online for the last few years. He took his tow build to the extreme :thumb:

My setup was only possible because people like you, Jon, Tony, Luke & others were willing to share there knowledge & experience. I have learned alot from you & the others on the various forums over the years. Thanks :thumb:

Best of luck with the sled pulling season this year.....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Aww man. Youv'e done it again. I thought I had my new tune situation figured out until I read this thread. Guess I'll have to give DP a call.

My setup was only possible because people like you, Jon, Tony, Luke & others were willing to share there knowledge & experience. I have learned alot from you & the others on the various forums over the years. Thanks :thumb:

X2. Strokin is a wealth of knowledge and a valueable asset to anyone who will listen.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts

Thank you for the kind words. I will do may darnedest to make the powerstroke a contender.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would NOT spend a dime on the stock TURBO! It is a POS! You won't be happy no matter how much you spend on it.

Whitebuffalo forgot to mention he uses a Van turbo. I prefer the H2E setup but is more expensive. Ok he did mention but I'll stress it. :)

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Yo Soggy, re read White buffalo's post, post #9. He does mention he runs a can turbo and recommended it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts