Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '95 F250. I am going to be driving a sailboat from Denver to Lake Tahoe. It's probably about 2000 lbs on a trailer with no brakes (except the emergency brake to lock up the wheels if the trailer becomes unhitched). I was thinking about doing the trip with my camper on the back, which weighs about 1500 lbs (just a guess on these weights). Can the brakes on the truck handle the combined weight, keeping in mind it's all interstate driving with a few hills and mountain passes? And is there somewhere on this site that I'm not seeing that lists all the towing, hauling, and braking specs for these trucks?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I wouldn't do that especially going through the mountains, not once but you have three ranges of mountains to get through.

Plus I would look at the laws of double towing trailers. Bumper pulls, length, and gvwr all have to be taken into consideration.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
I would consider doing it. Just be extremely careful, don't tailgate, stay way back, and brake very early. Ive pulled 12,000lbs before with no trailer brakes, just take it easy.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
Maybe consider doing the EBPV exhaust brake to help your trucks brakes out.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Again I strongly suggest you don't do it. With no trailerbrakes, your going to burn the brakes up on your truck going down the first grade. Which means you won't get out of Colorado.

Even if I was towing just the boat. I would put trailer brakes on that trailer.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
I guess bein from a pretty much flat area, i don't realize what the mountains are like. A 2000 lb trailer around here is nothing. Most people around here don't put brakes on a trailer unless its over 8000 gross.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I guess bein from a pretty much flat area, i don't realize what the mountains are like. A 2000 lb trailer around here is nothing. Most people around here don't put brakes on a trailer unless its over 8000 gross.
The grades he will be facing are way to dangerous to put himself or anyone else at risk. Also this type of towing maybe illegal as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I should clarify - my camper is a cabover, the type that slides into the truck bed. I have towed heavy loads (20,000+ lbs - don't even ask)through all parts of CO with an F-350, and downshifting on downgrades controlled my speed pretty well, but the trailers I used had brakes. Also, I plan to avoid I70 by taking I25 to I80, less hills that way, though still not flat. Is there any way to find out what weight the brakes (I am assuming they are the same as the stock set-up) are rated for? Thanks for all the info.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Maybe I should clarify - my camper is a cabover, the type that slides into the truck bed. I have towed heavy loads (20,000+ lbs - don't even ask)through all parts of CO with an F-350, and downshifting on downgrades controlled my speed pretty well, but the trailers I used had brakes. Also, I plan to avoid I70 by taking I25 to I80, less hills that way, though still not flat. Is there any way to find out what weight the brakes (I am assuming they are the same as the stock set-up) are rated for? Thanks for all the info.
Ok now I understand. When you said camper I automatically assumed it was a pull camper. But now your setup makes a differenc. As for your brakes. It should be in the owners manual or on the driverside door on the label. It should give you max vehicle gvwr that you are able to have. That can be a mixture of trailer and vehicle wieght or just vehicle wieght. But it is the MAX wieght your vehicle is capable of handling.

I do suggest you put brakes on that trailer though. I been through Colorado. I been on I 25 and I 80 through Colorado. I also have driven through Utah and Nevada and California. You will encounter some good grades. Even with downshifting your gonna take a big risk of burning them brakes up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts