Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I need some advice about towing a boat from FL to MO (Lake of the Ozarks) and back, next month. I hear and read alot about monitoring your Tranny temp while towing heavy, this is a 4500lb boat (full fuel) with trailer, I expect I will have about 1000 lbs max in cargo, rig is 03 F-250, FX4, stock, with heavy duty towing package. The question is this, Should I install a tranny temp gage for monitoring or is the factory one sufficient for this? Any advice and comments will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
an aftermarket trans temp gauge is always a good thing.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
5500lbs is not a lot to worry about, if you can get it a tranny gauge would be a safer bet.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Not necessary but always helpful and good insurance :thumb:

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
5500 lbs isn't much of a load to worry about with these trucks. A tranny, boost, and pyro gauges are good investments for any owner, but with stock tuning its nothing you need to necessarily worry about before your trip. If you have the time and money to do it though, it'd be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Ok guys, I need some advice about towing a boat from FL to MO (Lake of the Ozarks) and back, next month. I hear and read alot about monitoring your Tranny temp while towing heavy, this is a 4500lb boat (full fuel) with trailer, I expect I will have about 1000 lbs max in cargo, rig is 03 F-250, FX4, stock, with heavy duty towing package. The question is this, Should I install a tranny temp gage for monitoring or is the factory one sufficient for this? Any advice and comments will be appreciated.
03? is that the 6.0 or the 7.3? I was pulling my boat that is about 4500 pounds with a cooler that is about the size of the stock 7.3 cooler and my tranny was up around 200 to 210 with 95 deg outside. I upgradded to a 6.0 cooler and now at 95 deg it hangs around 160 when pulling the boat. to me 200 is about the max I would run 220 is way too much. under 100 bucks for a gauge is cheap. replacing a 3k tranny is alot! I would get the gauge and see if you really need to worry. I figured I did not need to worry since the shop just rebuilt my tranny a few months ago. All must be ok right? then my evo told me different....

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
i just hauled 15,000 lbs with a 7.3 and stock tranny cooler and never went over 210 deg in 100+ weather up hill most of the way. most of the time it sat around 180 but up hill it would max out at 210.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts