Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has a 99 F350 dualie with a 4R100 tranny and a Banks power kit. He tows with a 5th wheel. What is the max he can safely tow? Thanks.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
The '99-'04 DRW F350's (both the 7.3's and 6.0's) had a GCWR of 20K.

12.5K conventional with a WD hitch, and between 12.4-13.8K with a 5th wheel/gooseneck.

That's Ford's recommended towing capacities. The Aftermarket upgrades don't effect that. These trucks have been known to tow more, but legally that's your cap.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The '99-'04 DRW F350's (both the 7.3's and 6.0's) had a GCWR of 20K.

12.5K conventional with a WD hitch, and between 12.4-13.8K with a 5th wheel/gooseneck.

That's Ford's recommended towing capacities. The Aftermarket upgrades don't effect that. These trucks have been known to tow more, but legally that's your cap.
Interesting. What about in SRW configuration?

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
The '99-'04's the rating was the same between the DRW's and SRW's.

It wasn't 'till the resign of the suspension and brake systems in '05 and the move to 17" rims on the DRW's that the ratings between the SRW's and DRW's changed.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
The '99-'04's the rating was the same between the DRW's and SRW's.

It wasn't 'till the resign of the suspension and brake systems in '05 and the move to 17" rims on the DRW's that the ratings between the SRW's and DRW's changed.
The manufacturer's recommended GCWR (what you are refering to) is NOT what the DOT looks at when you get stopped. They look at the GAWR for each axle on each vehicle that is equipped with brakes. As long as none of your axles are over limit your are completely fine.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
I realise DOT looks at GAWR, however insurance companies and the courts will also look at the GCWR.

Towing in general is more complicated than the Ford ratings, and yes these trucks will pull more. Its an "at your own risk" past the published ratings.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very true. We pulled a 44ft toyhauler that weighed in around 18,500lbs. Pulled great and stopped without issue. These trucks are really impressive.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I agree I hauled about 18k worth of calves and my truck did great. Kept up with a stock 11' 450 hauling 20k+ worth of cows considering the stock differences I was happy and tranny was kind of happy hauling at 190F on the hills at 85f ambient temp( Montana hills are basically mountains haha). You shouldn't get tagged unless your doing something stupid, get in a wreck, or are suspicious for hotshotting. Just realize your heavy and give yourself plenty of time to stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts